Heterogeneity and the Structure of Exports and FDI: A cross-industry analysis of Japanese manufacturing
The fraction of exporters and multinational enterprises (MNEs) varies substantially across industries. We extend the firm heterogeneity model presented by Helpman et al. (2004) to derive testable predictions about the prevalence of these internationalized modes. The model indicates that intra-industry firm heterogeneity and R&D intensity play large roles in inter-industry variation of the fraction of internationalized firms. We investigate whether these factors as well as import tariffs affect the structure of exports and foreign direct investment (FDI) using Japanese industry-level data. We obtain results that are consistent with the model. First, industries with larger productivity dispersion have a larger fraction of MNEs and a larger fraction of the sum of exporters and MNEs. Second, MNEs are heavily concentrated in R&D-intensive industries. In addition, we reveal that industries with lower import tariffs have a larger fraction of exporters and MNEs.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alla Lileeva & Daniel Trefler, 2010.
"Improved Access to Foreign Markets Raises Plant-Level Productivity... for Some Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 125(3), pages 1051-1099, August.
- Alla Lileeva & Daniel Trefler, 2007. "Improved Access to Foreign Markets Raises Plant-Level Productivity ... for Some Plants," NBER Working Papers 13297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- WAKASUGI Ryuhei & TODO Yasuyuki & SATO Hitoshi & NISHIOKA Shuichiro & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & ITO Banri & TANAKA Ayumu, 2008. "The Internationalization of Japanese Firms: New Findings Based on Firm-Level Data," Discussion papers 08036, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Eiichi Tomiura, 2005.
"Foreign Outsourcing, Exporting, and FDI: A Productivity Comparison at the Firm Level,"
Discussion Paper Series
168, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Tomiura, Eiichi, 2007. "Foreign outsourcing, exporting, and FDI: A productivity comparison at the firm level," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 113-127, May.
- Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2007. "Trade, Production, and Protection Database, 1976--2004," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 165-171.
- Massimo Del Gatto & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Marcello Pagnini, 2008.
"Openness To Trade And Industry Cost Dispersion: Evidence From A Panel Of Italian Firms,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 97-129.
- Massimo Del Gatto & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Marcello Pagnini, 2007. "Openess to trade and industry cost dispersion: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 635, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Del Gatto, Massimo & Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Pagnini, Marcello, 2007. "Openness to Trade and Industry Cost Dispersion: Evidence from a Panel of Italian Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 6336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ederington, Josh & McCalman, Phillip, 2008. "Endogenous firm heterogeneity and the dynamics of trade liberalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 422-440, March.
- Bee Yan Aw & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2008. "R&D Investments, Exporting, and the Evolution of Firm Productivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 451-56, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:11001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.