Econometric Analysis of Irreversible Investment with Financial Constraints: Comparison of Parametric and Semiparametric Estimations
This analysis investigates irreversible investment with financial constraints by parametric and semiparametric estimations. The analysis examines four U.S. industries, employing a sample selection model as it develops its econometric model in accordance with real options theory. The analysis finds that liquidity positively affects capital investment, which is compatible with the theory. In addition, while investment is insensitive to sales revenue and operating costs, capital stock negatively affects investment. The analysis also finds that the sample selection bias is large and that a biased OLS estimator underestimates the coefficients of interest. The analysis' model selection is inconclusive.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ichimura, H., 1991. "Semiparametric Least Squares (sls) and Weighted SLS Estimation of Single- Index Models," Papers 264, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Whitney Newey, 1999.
"Two Step Series Estimation of Sample Selection Models,"
99-04, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2009. "Two-step series estimation of sample selection models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(s1), pages S217-S229, 01.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, 1997.
"The Mix and Scale of Factors with Irreversibility and Fixed Costs of Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
6148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B. & Eberly, Janice C., 1998. "The mix and scale of factors with irreversibility and fixed costs of investment," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 101-135, June.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115, Junio.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Chamberlain, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 225-238.
- Asano, Hirokatsu, 2002. "Costly Reversible Investment with Fixed Costs: An Empirical Study," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 227-40, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:08032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.