Oligopolistic Competition in the Japanese Wholesale Electricity Market: A Linear Complementarity Approach
Using a linear complementarity approach, we simulate the Japanese wholesale electricity market as a transmission-constrained Cournot market. Following Hobbs (2001), our model adopts the Cournot assumption in the energy market and the Bertrand assumption in the transmission market. The Bertrand assumption means that generators consider transmission charges as being exogenous, which can be interpreted as a kind of bounded rationality. We then present a simulation analysis of the Japanese wholesale electricity market, considering eight areas linked by interconnection transmission lines. Specifically, this paper examines the potential effects of both investment in interconnection transmission lines and the divestiture of dominant players' power plants.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cardell, Judith B. & Hitt, Carrie Cullen & Hogan, William W., 1997. "Market power and strategic interaction in electricity networks," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 109-137, March.
- SMEERS, Yves & WEI, Jing- Yuan, 1997. "Spatially oligopolistic model with opportunity cost pricing for transmission capacity reservations - A variational inequality approach," CORE Discussion Papers 1997017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James & Kahn, Edward & Stoft, Steven, 1995. "Market power in California electricity markets," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 219-236.
- HASUIKE Katsuhito & KANEMOTO Yoshitsugu, 2005. "Policy Evaluation for Oligopolistic Markets - A Case of Wholesale Electricity Market - (Japanese)," Discussion Papers (Japanese) 05024, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Shu-ichi Akiyama & Nobuhiro Hosoe, 2006. "A Spatial Equilibrium Analysis of Transmission Charge Reform in Japan's Electric Power Industry," Discussion papers 06022, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Tanaka, Makoto, 2009. "Transmission-constrained oligopoly in the Japanese electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 690-701, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:07023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.