Tax Devolution and Grant Distribution to States in India Analysis and Roadmap for Alternatives
The paper attempts to analyse the impact of devolution of taxes and distribution grants by the Centre to the States in India by taking fourteen major States for the time period 1980-81 to 2006-07. The study focuses on the impact of inter- State distribution of Central grants and taxes. Analysis reveals that formula based tax devolution has been more equalising than grants. Study finds that there is need to explore alternative mechanisms. [WP 419].
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Rangarajan & D. K. Srivastava, 2008. "Reforming IndiaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fiscal Transfer System : Resolving Vertical and Horizontal Imbalances," Finance Working Papers 22509, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Rao, Govinda, 2006. "Political Economy of Federalism in India," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195686937, December.
- Dwight R. Lee, 1994. "Reverse Revenue Sharing: A Return to Fiscal Federalism," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 14(1), pages 75-85, Spring/Su.
- Hrushikesh Mallick, 2008. "Do remittances impact the economy? Some empirical evidences from a developing economy," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 407, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 2003. "Public Choice III," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521894753, October.
- C. Rangarajan & D. K. Srivastava, 2008. "Reforming India’S Fiscal Transfer System: Resolving Vertical And Horizontal Imbalances," Working Papers 2008-031, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2421. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.