Strategic Interdependence and Passive Smoking
An ex post analysis shows that avoidance, as against associating, by smoker and non-smoker when the former smokes is a Nash outcome. Ex ante, passive smoking occurs because socio-legal structures allow smokers to take non-smokers for granted. This can be done away with if smokerâ€™s cost (material plus non-material) of associating with a nonsmoker while smoking is greater than that of avoiding. To ensure this, norms and conventions of avoidance ought to be developed and the health-risk of passive smoking should be made common knowledge. As a special case, a single personâ€™s active smoking behaviour has also been analysed [GIPE WP 1].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sander, William, 1995. "Schooling and Quitting Smoking," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 191-99, February.
- Boyer, M., 1976.
"A Habit Forming Optimal Grouwth Model,"
Cahiers de recherche
7612, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Schneider, Lynne & Klein, Benjamin & Murphy, Kevin M, 1981.
"Governmental Regulation of Cigarette Health Information,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 575-612, December.
- Benjamin Klein & Kevin M. Murphy & Lynne Schneider, 1981. "Governmental REgualtion of Cigarette Health Information," UCLA Economics Working Papers 200, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1991. "Age Variations in Risk Perceptions and Smoking Decisions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 577-88, November.
- Suranovic, Steven M. & Goldfarb, Robert S. & Leonard, Thomas C., 1999. "An economic theory of cigarette addiction," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-29, January.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Wesley A. Magat & Joel Huber, 1999. "Smoking Status and Public Responses to Ambiguous Scientific Risk Evidence," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 250-270, October.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Kenkel, D.S., 1988.
"Health Behavior, Health Knowledge, And Schooling,"
10-88-3, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990.
"An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction,"
NBER Working Papers
3322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 61, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Chaloupka, Frank, 1991.
"Rational Addictive Behavior and Cigarette Smoking,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 722-42, August.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K, 1988. "On the Consistency of Libertarian Values," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 55(220), pages 517-24, November.
- Laux, Fritz L., 2000. "Addiction as a market failure: using rational addiction results to justify tobacco regulation," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 421-437, July.
- Emery, Sherry & White, Martha M. & Pierce, John P., 2001. "Does cigarette price influence adolescent experimentation?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 261-270, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:1097. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.