Pre-Accession Changes to Residence-based Naturalisation Requirements in Ten New EU Member States
This study investigates how access to residence-based naturalisation has changed in ten Central and Eastern European EU member states before their accession. It focuses on the legislative amendments made during the time of EU pre-accession conditionality, specifically between the entry into force of the Europe Agreement and the date of accession, when the supervision of the EU Commission over legal and political developments in those states was strongest. The changes are analysed and evaluated as to their liberal nature, which shows that while the EU pre-accession documents promote the principle of inclusiveness, the legislative amendments in the field of naturalisation that were in fact introduced during the pre-accession time result in higher exclusion.
|Date of creation:||15 Mar 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via dei Roccettini, 9 - I-50016 San Domenico di Fiesole|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Costica Dumbrava, 2010. "How illiberal are citizenship rules in European Union countries?," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 50, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Martin Werding, 2001. "Immigration Following EU Eastern Enlargement," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(2), pages 40-47, October.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1999. "Report No. 3: Assessment of Possible Migration Pressure and its Labour Market Impact Following EU Enlargement to Central and Eastern Europe," IZA Research Reports 3, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jonathan Seglow, 2009. "Arguments for Naturalisation," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 57, pages 788-804, December.
- Margit Kraus & Robert Schwager, 2004. "EU Enlargement and Immigration," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 165-181, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erp:euirsc:p0283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio PAPPALARDO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.