The Brain Drain. A Survey of the Literature
This paper reviews the theoretical and empirical literature on Brain Drain (BD). We propose an ideal path that links the first studies with the most recent ones. In this development, the literature on BD focuses on a variety of economic and social issues and recalls to national and international debates. This paper uses more than 350 articles from a variety of sources. The sources are specialized professionals journals, internet research engines, governmental publications and newspapers. In the first part we analyse briefly the BD, its different definitions and the historical roots of the BD. This part shows that the BD is a wide and complex phenomenon. In the second part, we propose an ideal path to interpret the literature. This part analyses how BD is linked to political and social events, according to the Economy.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agarwal, Vinod B. & Winkler, Donald R., 1985. "United States immigration policy and indirect immigration of professionals," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Cox, Robert W., 1971. "Labor and Transnational Relations," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 554-584, June.
- Bellante, Don, 1978. "Changes in the migration of human capital and the southern "brain drain": Evidence from the censuses of 1960 and 1970," Journal of Behavioral Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 53-77.
- Agarwal, Vinod B. & Yochum, Gilbert R., 1987. "The Eilberg Act, new seed immigration, and professional labor markets," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 275-283, June.
- Tain-Jy Chen & Hsien-Yang Su, 1995. "On the-job training as a cause of brain drain," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 131(3), pages 526-541, September.
- George J. Borjas, 1987.
"Self-Selection and the Earnings of Immigrants,"
NBER Working Papers
2248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Kletzer, Kenneth M., 1992. "Fiscal policy coordination as fiscal federalism : Economic integration, public goods and efficiency in growing economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 647-653, April.
- Beine, Michel & Docquier, Frederic & Rapoport, Hillel, 2001.
"Brain drain and economic growth: theory and evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 275-289, February.
- Michel Beine & Frédéric Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2001. "Brain drain and economic growth: theory and evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10449, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chiswick, Carmel U, 1989. "The Impact of Immigration on the Human Capital of Natives," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(4), pages 464-86, October.
- Robin W. Boadway & Frank R. Flatters, 1982. "Efficiency and Equalization Payments in a Federal System of Government: A Synthesis and Extension of Recent Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 15(4), pages 613-33, November.
- de Seynes, Philippe, 1972. "Prospects for a Future Whole World," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 1-17, December.
- Davenport, Sally, 2004. "Panic and panacea: brain drain and science and technology human capital policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 617-630, May.
- Chang, Roberto, 1991.
"Private Investment and Sovereign Debt Negotiations,"
91-47, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Chang, Roberto, 1995. "Private Investment and Sovereign Debt Negotiations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(2), pages 387-405, May.
- Roberto Chang, 1993. "Private investment and sovereign debt negotiations," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 93-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- van Dalen, Hendrik P., 1993. "International migration, economic policy and human capital accumulation : A simulation study," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 417-430, October.
- Djajic, Slobodan, 1989. "Skills and the Pattern of Migration: The Role of Qualitative and Quantitative Restrictions on International Labor Mobility," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 795-809, November.
- Bucovetsky, S., 2003. "Efficient migration and redistribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(11), pages 2459-2474, October.
- Djajic, Slobodan & Milbourne, Ross, 1988. "A general equilibrium model of guest-worker migration : The source-country perspective," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 335-351, November.
- Corden, W M, 1984. "Harry Johnson's Contributions to International Trade Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(4), pages 567-591, August.
- Cox, Robert W., 1979. "Ideologies and the New International Economic Order: reflections on some recent literature," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(02), pages 257-302, March.
- Akbar, Sajjad & Devoretz, Don J., 1993. "Canada's demand for Third World highly trained immigrants: 1976-86," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 177-187, January.
- Ehrenberg, Ronald G, 1992. "The Flow of New Doctorates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 830-75, June.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Hamada, Koichi, 1982. "Tax policy in the presence of emigration," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 291-317, August.
- Chau, Nancy H, 2001. "Strategic Amnesty and Credible Immigration Reform," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 604-34, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.