Generalized equilibrium in an economy without the survival assumption
It is well known that an equilibrium in the Arrow-Debreu model may fail to exist if a very restrictive condition called the survival assumption is not satisfied. We study two approaches that allow for the relaxation of this condition. Danilov and Sotskov (1990), and Florig (2001) developed a concept of a generalized equilibrium based on a notion of hierarchic prices. Marakulin (1990) proposed a concept of an equilibrium with non-standard prices. In this paper, we establish the equivalence between non-standard and hierarchic equilibria. Furthermore, we show that for any specified system of dividends the set of such equilibria is generically finite. We also provide a generic characterization of hierarchic equilibria and give an easy proof of the core equivalence result.
|Date of creation:||16 Dec 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam|
Phone: 31 10 4081111
Web page: http://www.eur.nl/ese
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gale, David, 1976. "The linear exchange model," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 205-209, July.
- Konovalov, A., 1998. "Core Equivalence in Economies With Satiation," Discussion Paper 1998-80, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Smale, S., 1974. "Global analysis and economics IIA : Extension of a theorem of Debreu," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Muller, Heinz, 1980.
"Optimality properties of rationing schemes,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 131-149, October.
- DREZE, Jacques H. & MÜLLER, Heinz, "undated". "Optimality properties of rationing schemes," CORE Discussion Papers RP 440, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kajii, Atsushi, 1996. "How to discard non-satiation and free-disposal with paper money," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 75-84.
- Florig, Michael, 2001. "Hierarchic competitive equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 515-546, July.
- Mertens, J. F., 2003. "The limit-price mechanism," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 433-528, July.
- MERTENS , Jean-François, 1996. "The limit-price mechanism," CORE Discussion Papers 1996050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Danilov, V. I. & Sotskov, A. I., 1990. "A generalized economic equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 341-356.
- Makarov, V. L., 1981. "Some results on general assumptions about the existence of economic equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 87-99, March.
- Konovalov, A., 2001. "Essays in general equilibrium theory," Other publications TiSEM fece7269-5d1e-47b9-a21c-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:eureir:537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.