Walras and dividends equilibrium with possibly satiated consumers
The main contribution of the paper is to provide a weaker non-satiation assumption than the one commonly used in the literature to ensure the existence of competitive equilibrium. Our assumption allows for satiation points in the set of individually feasible consumptions, provided that the consumer has satiation points available to him outside this set. As a result, we show the concept of equilibrium with dividends (See Aumann and Dreze (1986), Mas-Collel (1992)) is pertinent only when the set of satiation points is included in the set of individually feasible consumptions. Our economic motivation stems from the fact that in decentralized markets, increasing the incomes of consumers through dividends, if it is possible, is costly since it involves the intervention of social planner. Then, we show, in particular, how in securities markets our weak nonsatiation assumption is satisfied by Werner's (1987) assumption.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00241543|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuong Le Van & Nguyen Ba Minh, 2004.
"No-arbitrage condition and existence of equilibrium with dividends,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b04058, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Le Van, Cuong & Minh, Nguyen Ba, 2007. "No-arbitrage condition and existence of equilibrium with dividends," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 135-152, February.
- Cuong Le Van & Nguyen Ba Minh, 2007. "No-arbitrage condition and existence of equilibrium with dividends," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00101177, HAL.
- LE VAN, Cuong & BA MINH, Nguyen, 2004. "No-arbitrage condition and existence of equilibrium with dividends," CORE Discussion Papers 2004034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Werner, Jan, 1987. "Arbitrage and the Existence of Competitive Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1403-18, November.
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Muller, Heinz, 1980. "Optimality properties of rationing schemes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 131-149, October.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, François, 1996.
"On the different notions of arbitrage and existence of equilibrium,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, Francois, 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Dana, R.-A. & Le Van, C. & Magnien, F., 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 1999.34, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, François, 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6228, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cornet, Bernard & Topuzu, Mihaela & Yildiz, Aysegul, 2003. "Equilibrium theory with a measure space of possibly satiated consumers," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 175-196, June.
- Aumann, Robert J & Dreze, Jacques H, 1986.
"Values of Markets with Satiation or Fixed Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1271-1318, November.
- Page Jr., Frank H. & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 1996. "A necessary and sufficient condition for the compactness of individually rational and feasible outcomes and the existence of an equilibrium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 153-162, August.
- Alexander Konovalov, 2005. "The core of an economy with satiation," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 711-719, 04.
- Kajii, Atsushi, 1996. "How to discard non-satiation and free-disposal with paper money," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 75-84.
- Allouch, Nizar & Le Van, Cuong & Page, Jr. Frank H., 2001.
"The geometry of arbitrage and the existence of competitive equilibrium,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
598, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Allouch, Nizar & Le Van, Cuong & Page, Frank Jr., 2002. "The geometry of arbitrage and the existence of competitive equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 373-391, December.
- Makarov, V. L., 1981. "Some results on general assumptions about the existence of economic equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 87-99, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00241543. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.