Estimation of temporally aggregated multivariate GARCH models
This paper investigates the performance of quasi maximum likelihood (QML) and nonlinear least squares (NLS) estimation applied to temporally aggregated GARCH models. Since these are known to be only weak GARCH, the conditional variance of the aggregated process is in general not known. Thus, one major condition that is often used in proving the consistency of QML, the correct specification of the first two moments, is absent. Indeed, our results suggest that QML is not consistent, with a substantial bias if both the initial degree of persistence and the aggregation level are high. In other cases, QML might be taken as an approximation with only a small bias. Based on results for univariate GARCH models, NLS is likely to be consistent, although inefficient, for weak GARCH models. Our simulation study reveals that NLS does not reduce the bias of QML in considerably large samples. As the variation of NLS estimates is much higher than that of QML, one would clearly prefer QML in most practical situations. An empirical example illustrates some of the results.
|Date of creation:||12 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 31 10 4081111
Web page: http://www.eur.nl/ese
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153273 is not listed on IDEAS
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992.
"Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes,"
1992-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal Aggregation Of Garch Processes," Papers 9066, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal Aggregation of Garch Processes," Papers 9240, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1990-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 1997.
"Estimating Weak Garch Representations,"
97-40, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- HAFNER, Christian & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003. "Semiparametric multivariate GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers 2003003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sébastien Laurent & Luc Bauwens & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2006.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 79-109.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers 2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, . "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Comte, F. & Lieberman, O., 2003. "Asymptotic theory for multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 61-84, January.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Christian M. Hafner, 2003. "Fourth Moment Structure of Multivariate GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 26-54.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1993. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Other publications TiSEM 0642fb61-c7f4-4281-b484-4, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:eureir:1480. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.