Trends in Business Ownership in Central and East European Transition Economies
We investigate developments in business ownership rates in four CEE transition economies (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovak Republic), and compare them with similar developments in other OECD countries in the period 1989-2008. Our analysis reveals that business ownership rates in the four CEE countries have been converging rapidly towards the levels of other OECD countries, and these CEE countries were able to rebuild their private sectors in a relatively short period of transition. We also find sizable differences among the four CEE countries under study in the level and dynamics of change of business ownership since 1989.
|Date of creation:||03 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7001, 2701 AA Zoetermeer|
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Szirmai, Adam & Naude, Wim & Goedhuys, Micheline (ed.), 2011. "Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Economic Development," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199596515, December.
- Nyström, Kristina, 2008.
"The Institutions of Economic Freedom and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Ratio Working Papers
114, The Ratio Institute.
- Kristina Nyström, 2008. "The institutions of economic freedom and entrepreneurship: evidence from panel data," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 269-282, September.
- van der Zwan Peter & Verheul Ingrid & Thurik Roy, 2011. "The Entrepreneurial Ladder in Transition and Non-Transition Economies," Entrepreneurship Research Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 1(2), pages 1-20, March.
- Vladimír Benáček, 1995. "Small Businesses and Private Entrepreneurship during Transition: The Case of the Czech Republic," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(2), pages 38-75, April.
- André van Stel & Chantal Hartog & J. Cieslik Cieslik, 2010. "Measuring Business Ownership Across Countries and Over Time: Extending the COMPENDIA Data Base," Scales Research Reports H201019, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- André van Stel, 2004.
"COMPENDIA: Harmonizing business ownership data across countries and over time,"
Scales Research Reports
N200413, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Andre van Stel, . "COMPENDIA: Harmonizing business ownership data across countries and over time," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Simon C. Parker & Emilio Congregado & Antonio A. Golpe, 2012. "Testing for hysteresis in entrepreneurship in 23 OECD countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 61-66, January.
- Jan Winiecki, 2004. "Determinants of catching up or falling behind: interaction of formal and informal institutions," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 137-152.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Martin Carree, 2010.
"The relationship between entrepreneurship and economic development: is it U-shaped?,"
Scales Research Reports
H200824, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Wennekers, Sander & van Stel, André & Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 2010. "The Relationship between Entrepreneurship and Economic Development: Is It U-Shaped?," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 6(3), pages 167-237, July.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Storey, 2006.
"The effect of business regulations on nascent and young business entrepreneurship,"
Scales Research Reports
H200609, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- André Stel & David Storey & A. Thurik, 2007. "The Effect of Business Regulations on Nascent and Young Business Entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 171-186, March.
- van Stel, A.J. & Storey, D. & Thurik, A.R., 2006. "The Effect of Business Regulations on Nascent and Young Business Entrepreneurship," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-052-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2007.
"The Economic Consequences of Legal Origins,"
NBER Working Papers
13608, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- Mirjam van Praag & Andre van Stel, 2011.
"The More Business Owners the Merrier? The Role of Tertiary Education,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-067/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Mirjam Praag & André Stel, 2013. "The more business owners, the merrier? The role of tertiary education," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 335-357, August.
- André van Stel & Mirjam van Praag, 2011. "The More Business Owners the Merrier? The Role of Tertiary Education," Scales Research Reports H201010, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Stam, Erik & Stel, Andre van, 2009. "Types of Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," MERIT Working Papers 049, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eim:papers:h201202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.