The Current Account and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in African Countries
Persistent international current account imbalances and real exchange rate movements have become a permanent feature of the world economy. This paper, therefore, sets out to investigate the relationship between the real exchange rate and current account dynamics of eleven African countries, using data from 1980 to 2008, based on a stochastic Mundell-Fleming model in which shocks to real exchange rates and current account have been identified as permanent and temporary. Using a bi-variate structural VAR approach, the results are in consonant with the theoretical model, with permanent shocks having permanent and positive effects on both the current account and the real exchange rates. On the other hand, while temporary shocks have insignificant effects on the real exchange rates, they have very different effects on the current accounts of different countries.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)1225 383799
Fax: +44 (0)1225 323423
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaewoo Lee & Menzie D. Chinn, 1998.
"The Current Account and the Real Exchange Rate: A Structural VAR Analysis of Major Currencies,"
NBER Working Papers
6495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, J. & Chinn, M.D., 1998. "The Current Account and the Real Exchange Rate: A Structural VAR Analysis of Major Currencies," Papers 97-98-17, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Leonard, Greg & Stockman, Alan C, 2002.
"Current Accounts and Exchange Rates: A New Look at the Evidence,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 483-96, August.
- Greg Leonard & Alan C. Stockman, 2001. "Current Accounts and Exchange Rates: A New Look at the Evidence," NBER Working Papers 8361, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hali J. Edison & B. Dianne Pauls, 1991.
"Re-assessment of the relationship between real exchange rates and real interest rates: 1974-1990,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
408, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edison, Hali J. & Pauls, B. Dianne, 1993. "A re-assessment of the relationship between real exchange rates and real interest rates: 1974-1990," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 165-187, April.
- Ahmad, A.H. & Harvey, David I. & Pentecost, Eric J., 2011.
"Exchange rate regime verification: An alternative method of testing for regime changes,"
Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 96-98, October.
- Ahmad, Ahmad H & Pentecost, E J, 2011. "Exchange RateRegime Verification : An Alternative Method of Testing for RegimeChanges," Department of Economics Working Papers 22748, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth Rogoff, 2002. "NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2001, Volume 16," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bern02-1, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eid:wpaper:32981. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Publications Librarian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.