Bank Window Dressing: A Re-Assessment and a Puzzle
Expanded public availability of U.S. banking data has prompted a need to reexamine end-of-quarter window dressing. We find substantial heterogeneity in the pattern of window dressing across banks and products, not all of which can be explained as customerinitiated, and some of which is consistent with theoretical predictions in the absence of publicly available data. These findings call into question the efficacy of financial disclosure in constraining banks’ behavior, and raise new issues for further research.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen, Linda & Saunders, Anthony, 1992. "Bank window dressing: Theory and evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 585-623, June.
- Musto, David K, 1997. " Portfolio Disclosures and Year-End Price Shifts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1563-88, September.
- Vladimir Kotomin & Drew Winters, 2006. "Quarter-End Effects in Banks: Preferred Habitat or Window Dressing?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 61-82, February.
- Furfine, Craig H., 2004. "Public disclosures and calendar-related movements in risk premiums: evidence from interbank lending," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 97-116, January.
- Mark D. Griffiths & Drew B. Winters, 2005. "The Turn of the Year in Money Markets: Tests of the Risk-Shifting Window Dressing and Preferred Habitat Hypotheses," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 1337-1364, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2010-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.