Re-examining Emissions. Is Assessing Convergence Meaningless?
This paper sets out to re-examine CO2 emissions for 22 OECD countries over the period 1870–2006. The aim is to help explain mixed evidence regarding convergence in per capita emissions among countries. The paper revolves around two potential sources of inconclusive findings regarding CO2 emissions convergence: firstly, neglecting the step prior to convergence analysis could mislead researchers as the stationary nature of series negates the possibility of convergence; secondly, the nonlinear dynamics of CO2 have not been considered to date. The empirical evidence provided by our methodological strategy suggests that the original per capita CO2 emissions are non-stationary from 1950 onwards, allowing for further convergence study. By the novelty appeal of using nonlinear methods, we conclude that there is strong evidence of divergence among these 22 OECD countries.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edifici Departamental Oriental, Campus dels Tarongers, Avda. dels Tarongers, S/N (4P15), 46022 - València|
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breuer, Janice Boucher & McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles, 2002. " Series-Specific Unit Root Tests with Panel Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(5), pages 527-546, December.
- Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Tomás del Barrio-Castro & Enrique López-Bazo, 2005.
"Breaking the panels: An application to the GDP per capita,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 159-175, 07.
- Josep Lluis Carrion Silvestre & Tomas del Barrio Castro & Enrique Lopez Bazo, 2003. "Breaking the panels. An application to the GDP per capita," Working Papers in Economics 97, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Vogelsang, Timothy J & Perron, Pierre, 1998.
"Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1073-1100, November.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Perron, P., 1994. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," Cahiers de recherche 9422, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Perron, P., 1994. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," Cahiers de recherche 9422, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eec:wpaper:1104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vicente Esteve)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.