A Consistent Nonparametric Bootstrap Test of Exogeneity
This paper proposes a novel way of testing exogeneity of an explanatory variable without any parametric assumptions in the presence of a "conditional" instrumental variable. A testable implication is derived that if an explanatory variable is endogenous, the conditional distribution of the outcome given the endogenous variable is not independent of its instrumental variable(s). The test rejects the null hypothesis with probability one if the explanatory variable is endogenous and it detects alternatives converging to the null at a rate n..1=2:We propose a consistent nonparametric bootstrap test to implement this testable implication. We show that the proposed bootstrap test can be asymptotically justi.ed in the sense that it produces asymptotically correct size under the null of exogeneity, and it has unit power asymptotically. Our nonparametric test can be applied to the cases in which the outcome is generated by an additively non-separable structural relation or in which the outcome is discrete, which has not been studied in the literature.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 31 Buccleuch Place, EH8 9JT, Edinburgh|
Web page: http://www.sire.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angrist, Joshua D, 1990. "Lifetime Earnings and the Vietnam Era Draft Lottery: Evidence from Social Security Administrative Records: Errata," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1284-86, December.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Jinyong Hahn & Geert Ridder, 2011. "Conditional Moment Restrictions and Triangular Simultaneous Equations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(2), pages 683-689, May.
- Wu, De-Min, 1973. "Alternative Tests of Independence Between Stochastic Regressors and Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 733-50, July.
- Richard W. Blundell & Richard J. Smith, 1989. "Estimation in a Class of Simultaneous Equation Limited Dependent Variable Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 37-57.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 1999. "Consistent hypothesis testing in semiparametric and nonparametric models for econometric time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 373-401, August.
- Chesher, Andrew, 1985. "Score tests for zero covariances in recursive linear models for grouped or censored data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 291-305, June.
- Abadie A., 2002. "Bootstrap Tests for Distributional Treatment Effects in Instrumental Variable Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 284-292, March.
- Trevor S. Breusch, 1986. "Hypothesis Testing in Unidentified Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 635-651.
- Andrew Chesher, 2003. "Identification in Nonseparable Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1405-1441, 09.
- Richard Blundell & Joel L. Horowitz, 2007.
"A Non-Parametric Test of Exogeneity,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1035-1058.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1997.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1097-1128, September.
- Angrist, Joshua D, 1990.
"Lifetime Earnings and the Vietnam Era Draft Lottery: Evidence from Social Security Administrative Records,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 313-36, June.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 1989. "Lifetime Earnings and the Vietnam Era Draft Lottery: Evidence from Social Security Administrative Records," Working Papers 631, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Bickel, Peter J. & Stoker, Thomas M., 2001. "Goodness-of-fit tests for kernel regression with an application to option implied volatilities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 363-412, December.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Vuong, Quang H, 1996.
"Nonparametric Selection of Regressors: The Nonnested Case,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 207-19, January.
- Lavergne, P. & Vuong, Q., 1992. "Nonparametric Selection of Regressors : the Nonnested Case," Papers 9204, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Grogger, Jeffrey, 1990. "A simple test for exogeneity in probit, logit, and poisson regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 329-332, August.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1995. "Consistent nonparametric hypothesis tests with an application to Slutsky symmetry," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 379-401, June.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:sirdps:512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.