Functional Forms, Sampling Considerations, and Estimation of Demand for Protected Natural Areas: The CÌes Islands Case Study in Galicia (Spain)
In this paper, we present estimates of several models of demand for a natural area using data from surveys on visitors and non-visitors. The estimates take into account the problems of: demand specification, measurement of the cost and of the demand, choosing sampling scheme, and handling the sample. Considering these alternatives allows us to select a model of demand under improved conditions and frees us from initial restrictive hypothesis. The results in terms of prediction of demand and consumer surplus estimates are quite dissimilar, stressing the importance of comparing various models that encompass the range of possible options.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Chalé dos Catedráticos, 1. Avda. das Ciencias s/n. Campus Vida, 15782 Santiago de Compostela|
Phone: 981 59 11 66
Fax: 981 59 99 35
Web page: http://www.usc.es/idega/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. G. Willis & G. D. Garrod, 1991. "An Individual Travel-Cost Method Of Evaluating Forest Recreation," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 33-42.
- Alan Randall, 1994. "Difficulty with the Travel Cost Method," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(1), pages 88-96.
- Englin, Jeffrey & Shonkwiler, J S, 1995. "Estimating Social Welfare Using Count Data Models: An Application to Long-Run Recreation Demand under Conditions of Endogenous Stratification and Truncation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 104-12, February.
- Hellerstein, Daniel & Mendelsohn, Robert, 1993.
"A Theoretical Foundation for Count Data Models,"
25265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bell, Frederick W. & Leeworthy, Vernon R., 1990. "Recreational demand by tourists for saltwater beach days," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 189-205, May.
- Jeffrey Englin & David Lambert, 1995. "Measuring angling quality in count data models of recreational fishing," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(4), pages 389-399, December.
- Shaw, Daigee, 1988. "On-site samples' regression : Problems of non-negative integers, truncation, and endogenous stratification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 211-223, February.
- Santos Silva, J. M. C., 1997. "Unobservables in count data models for on-site samples," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 217-220, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edg:anecon:0016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Fernandez Grela)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.