Stochastic Frontier Models With Correlated Error Components
In the productivity modelling literature, the disturbances U (representing technical inefficiency) and V (representing noise) of the composite error W=V-U of the stochastic frontier model are assumed to be independent random variables. By employing the copula approach to statistical modelling, the joint behaviour of U and V can be parameterised thereby allowing the data the opportunity to determine the adequacy of the independence assumption. In this context, three examples of the copula approach are given: the first is algebraic (the Logistic-Exponential stochastic frontier model with margins bound by the Fairlie-Gumbel-Morgenstern copula) and the second and third are empirically oriented, using data sets well-known in productivity analysis. Analysed are a cross-section of cost data sampled from the US electrical power industry, and an unbalanced panel of data sampled from the US airline industry
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murray D. Smith, 2003. "Modelling sample selection using Archimedean copulas," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 99-123, 06.
- Luis R. Murillo-Zamorano, 2004. "Economic Efficiency and Frontier Techniques," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 33-77, 02.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Peter Lambert, 1998.
"Horizontal inequity comparisons,"
IFS Working Papers
W98/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- Miller, Douglas J. & Liu, Wei-han, 2002. "On the recovery of joint distributions from limited information," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 259-274, March.
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Fang, Hong-Bin & Fang, Kai-Tai & Kotz, Samuel, 2002. "The Meta-elliptical Distributions with Given Marginals," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-16, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:ausm04:121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.