Institutions, Institutional Change, Strategic Assets and Competitive Advantage of American and French Film Industries (1895-1998)
This paper uses neo-institutional economics (I.E.) to examine why French film production firms have lost their competitive advantage to their American competitors from 1895 to 1998. I.E. posits that major institutional changes result in changes in firms' strategic assets and strategies as well as in strategic industry factors. This causal path represents a bold shift in perspective from Industrial Organization, which considers the institutional environment as exogenous and largely beyond the reach of strategy. The same holds for the Resource-Based View. Several propositions stemming from neo-institutional economics are examined with a qualitative historical methodology. Robust evidence is provided to confirm the importance of neo-institutional explanations of strategic and industry changes over the whole period under study. However, institutions and institutional change have not been the sole drivers of industry and firms evolutions: chance (technologies and wars) and cognitive models of industry players also played their part, albeit complementary.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEC Paris, 78351 Jouy-en-Josas cedex, France|
Web page: http://www.hec.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- North, Douglass C., 1993.
"Economic Performance through Time,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1993-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1984.
"Do markets differ much?,"
1531-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Henderson, Rebecca. & Cockburn, Iain., 1994. "Measuring competence? : exploring firm effects in pharmaceutical research," Working papers 3712-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090.
- Coase, Ronald, 1998. "The New Institutional Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 72-74, May.
- Mariano Tommasi & Pablo T. Spiller, 2004. "The Institutions of Regulation," Working Papers 67, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Mar 2004.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:heccah:0669. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.