Making sense of competitiveness indicators in south-eastern Europe
This paper sifts through a variety of competitiveness and business environment indicators to assess the state of reforms in south-eastern Europe (SEE). While common themes emerge, such as corruption, weak tax administration and the lack of availability of skills, there is a clear gap between those countries in the region that have joined, or are about to join, the European Union, and the remaining countries. The World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Index signals some similarities across the region, but other sources of information, such as the World Bank’s Doing Business reports and the EBRD/World Bank Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Survey, show up marked cross-country differences. We conclude with a number of targeted recommendations for policy reforms in areas such as cross-border trade and investment, tax administration and the development of new skills and innovation.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Working papers 145, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/research/publications/workingpapers.shtml
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elisabetta Falcetti & Tatiana Lysenko & Peter Sanfey, 2005.
"Reforms and growth in transition: re-examining the evidence,"
90, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Falcetti, Elisabetta & Lysenko, Tatiana & Sanfey, Peter, 2006. "Reforms and growth in transition: Re-examining the evidence," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 421-445, September.
- Berglöf, Erik & Bruynooghe, Lise & Harmgart, Heike & Sanfey, Peter & Schweiger, Helena & Zettelmeyer, Jeromin, 2010. "European Transition at Twenty," Working Paper Series wp2010-91, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Eicher, Theo S. & Schreiber, Till, 2010.
"Structural policies and growth: Time series evidence from a natural experiment,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 169-179, January.
- Theo Eicher & Till Schreiber, 2006. "Structural Policies and Growth: Time Series Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Working Papers 48, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebd:wpaper:145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Lucas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.