Model Comparisons in Unstable Environments
The goal of this paper is to develop formal techniques for analyzing the relative in-sample performance of two competing, misspecified models in the presence of possible data instability. The central idea of our methodology is to propose a measure of the models' local relative performance: the "local Kullback-Leibler Information Criterion" (KLIC), which measures the relative distance of the two models' (misspecified) likelihoods from the true likelihood at a particular point in time. We discuss estimation and inference about the local relative KLIC; in particular, we propose statistical tests to investigate its stability over time. Compared to previous approaches to model selection, which are based on measures of "global performance," our focus is on the entire time path of the models' relative performance, which may contain useful information that is lost when looking for a globally best model. The empirical application provides insights into the time variation in the performance of a representative DSGE model of the European economy relative to that of VARs.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics Duke University 213 Social Sciences Building Box 90097 Durham, NC 27708-0097|
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wei Biao Wu & Zhibiao Zhao, 2007. "Inference of trends in time series," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(3), pages 391-410.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2005. "Stationarity Tests Under Time-Varying Second Moments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(06), pages 1112-1129, December.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & White, Halbert, 1988. "Some Invariance Principles and Central Limit Theorems for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 210-230, August.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Giacomini, Raffaella & Rossi, Barbara, 2008.
"Forecast Comparisons in Unstable Environments,"
08-04, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Zhongjun Qu & Pierre Perron, 2007.
"Estimating and Testing Structural Changes in Multivariate Regressions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 459-502, 03.
- Zhongjun Qu & Pierre Perron, 2005. "Estimating and testing structural changes in multivariate regressions," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-012, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Douglas Rivers & Quang Vuong, 2002. "Model selection tests for nonlinear dynamic models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 1-39, June.
- Rossi, Barbara, 2002.
"Optimal Tests for Nested Model Selection with Underlying Parameter Instability,"
02-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Rossi, Barbara, 2005. "Optimal Tests For Nested Model Selection With Underlying Parameter Instability," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(05), pages 962-990, October.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Ulrich K. Müller, 2011. "Efficient Tests Under a Weak Convergence Assumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(2), pages 395-435, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:duk:dukeec:10-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.