Infinitely many securities and the fundamental theorem of asset pricing
Several authors have pointed out the possible absence of martingale measures for static arbitrage-free markets with an infinite number of available securities. This paper addresses this caveat by drawing on projective systems of probability measures. Firstly, it is shown that there are two distinct sorts of models whose treatment is necessarily different. Secondly, and more important, we analyze those situations for which one can provide a projective system of ó .additive measures whose projective limit may be interpreted as a risk-neutral probability. Hence, the Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing is extended so that it can apply for models with infinitely many assets.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.business.uc3m.es/es/index|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Jacod & A.N. Shiryaev, 1998. "Local martingales and the fundamental asset pricing theorems in the discrete-time case," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 259-273.
- Jouini, Elyes & Kallal, Hedi, 2001.
"Efficient Trading Strategies in the Presence of Market Frictions,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 343-369.
- Elyès Jouini & Hédi Kallal, 1998. "Efficient Trading Strategies in the Presence of Market Frictions," Working Papers 98-31, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Elyès Jouini & Hédi Kallal, 1999. "Efficient Trading Strategies in the Presence of Market Frictions," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-035, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Balbas, Alejandro & Miras, Miguel Angel & Munoz-Bouzo, Maria Jose, 2002. "Projective system approach to the martingale characterization of the absence of arbitrage," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 311-323, July.
- A. Chateauneuf & R. Kast & A. Lapied, 1996. "Choquet Pricing For Financial Markets With Frictions," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 323-330.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Kast, R. & Lapied, A., 1992. "Choquet Pricing for Financial Markets with Frictions," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 92a11, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Jouini Elyes & Kallal Hedi, 1995. "Martingales and Arbitrage in Securities Markets with Transaction Costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 178-197, June.
- Back, Kerry & Pliska, Stanley R., 1991. "On the fundamental theorem of asset pricing with an infinite state space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-18.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5630 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:crs:wpaper:9513 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schachermayer, W., 1992. "A Hilbert space proof of the fundamental theorem of asset pricing in finite discrete time," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 249-257, December.
- repec:arz:wpaper:eres1993-121 is not listed on IDEAS
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Clark, Stephen A., 1993. "The valuation problem in arbitrage price theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 463-478.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4721 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Walter Schachermayer, 2004. "The Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing under Proportional Transaction Costs in Finite Discrete Time," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 19-48.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Hans Föllmer & Alexander Schied, 2002. "Convex measures of risk and trading constraints," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 429-447. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wbrepe:wb043513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.