Measuring risk with multiple eligible assets
The risk of financial positions is measured by the minimum amount of capital to raise and invest in eligible portfolios of traded assets in order to meet a prescribed acceptability constraint. We investigate nondegeneracy, finiteness and continuity properties of these risk measures with respect to multiple eligible assets. Our finiteness and continuity results highlight the interplay between the acceptance set and the class of eligible portfolios. We present a simple, alternative approach to the dual representation of convex risk measures by directly applying to the acceptance set the external characterization of closed, convex sets. We prove that risk measures are nondegenerate if and only if the pricing functional admits a positive extension which is a supporting functional for the underlying acceptance set, and provide a characterization of when such extensions exist. Finally, we discuss applications to set-valued risk measures, superhedging with shortfall risk, and optimal risk sharing.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Marco Frittelli & Giacomo Scandolo, 2006. "Risk Measures And Capital Requirements For Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 589-612.
- repec:arz:wpaper:eres1993-121 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hans Föllmer & Alexander Schied, 2002. "Convex measures of risk and trading constraints," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 429-447.
- Pauline Barrieu & Nicole El Karoui, 2005. "Inf-convolution of risk measures and optimal risk transfer," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 269-298, 04.
- Stefan Jaschke & Uwe Küchler, 2001. "Coherent risk measures and good-deal bounds," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 181-200.
- Giacomo Scandolo, 2004. "Models of Capital Requirements in Static and Dynamic Settings," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 33(3), pages 415-435, November.
- Clark, Stephen A., 1993. "The valuation problem in arbitrage price theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 463-478.
- Andreas H. Hamel & Birgit Rudloff & Mihaela Yankova, 2012. "Set-valued average value at risk and its computation," Papers 1202.5702, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1308.3331. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.