Bank Debt And Market Debt: An Empirical Analysis For Spanish Frims
This paper examines the effect on the firm’s banking cost of the issue of debt securities. We argue over the existence of a positive relationship between the issue of market debt and the reduction of firm’s banking cost. This idea relies on three main arguments: i) Banks can delegate to investors the supervision task, a feature that makes bank supervision less costly. ii) The issue of public debt increases firms’ bargaining power in front of the banks, as the former can get funds through non-bank financing ch annels. iii) Banks with no prior information on the issuing firm may interpret the issue of debt securities as a positive signal of firm’s quality. Additionally, we argue that the previous effects are less important for non-first issues and are sensible to the maturity of the bond issued. We empirically test these and other related theoretical results making use of a database of Spanish non-financial firms during the 1993-1998 period. We find empirical support for our theoretical contentions.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 91 624-9630
Fax: +34 91 624-9608
Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_economia_empresa
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989.
"Bank Monitoring and Investment: Evidence from the Changing Structure of Japanese Corporate Banking Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
3079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "Bank Monitoring and Investment: Evidence from the Changing Structure of Japanese Corporate Banking Relationships," NBER Chapters, in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 105-126 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yosha Oved, 1995. "Information Disclosure Costs and the Choice of Financing Source," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 3-20, January.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Johnson, Shane A., 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Corporate Debt Ownership Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 47-69, March.
- Charles J. Hadlock & Christopher M. James, 2002. "Do Banks Provide Financial Slack?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1383-1419, 06.
- Elena Zoido, 1998. "Un estudio de las participaciones accionariales de los bancos en las empresas españolas," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 22(3), pages 427-467, September.
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990.
" Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989. "Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:110:y:1995:i:2:p:407-43 is not listed on IDEAS
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989. "Bank monitoring and investment: evidence from the changing structure of Japanese corporate banking relations," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 86, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, 04.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Cai, Jun & Cheung, Yan-Leung & Goyal, Vidhan K., 1999. "Bank monitoring and the maturity structure of Japanese corporate debt issues," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 229-249, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wbrepe:wb020702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.