The entry mode choice of EU leading companies (1987-1997)
The aim of the paper is to provide empirical evidence on the relationship between industrial structure and M&A process. We focus on the determining factors fostering a firm to choose controlling acquisitions or non-controlling ones. We use the Acquisitions and Divestments Database (ADD), a data-base collecting equity operations made by top-90 EU leaders in the period 1987-1997. A logit analysis shows some variables that increase the probability that the firm’s entry mode choice is a non-controlling-acquisition: firm’s size, firm’s diversification strategy, industry concentration, oligopolistic competition. On the contrary, the R&D differentiated industries and the role of the stock exchange market enforce the probability that the firm’s entry mode is a controlling acquisition.
|Length:||28 pages Keywords : Industrial structure; European industry, M&As; acquisitions; joint-ventures|
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceris.cnr.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neven, D. & Siotis, G., 1996.
"Technology sourcing and FDI in the EC: An empirical evaluation,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 543-560, July.
- Damien NEVEN & George SIOTIS, 1995. "Technology Sourcing and FDI in the EC : An Empirical Evaluation," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9508, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Davies, S. & Rondi, L. & Sembenelli, A., 1998. "SEM and the Changing Structure of EU Manufacturing, 1987-1993," University of East Anglia Discussion Papers in Economics 9815, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK..
- Mutinelli, Marco & Piscitello, Lucia, 1998. "The entry mode choice of MNEs: an evolutionary approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 491-506, September.
- Stephen Davies & Laura Rondi & Alessandro Sembenelli, 1997. "Multinationality, Diversification And Firm Size An Empirical Analysis Of Europe'S Leading Firms," CERIS Working Paper 199701, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Teece, David J., 1992. "Competition, cooperation, and innovation : Organizational arrangements for regimes of rapid technological progress," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-25, June.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- Liebeskind, Julia Porter & Opler, Tim C & Hatfield, Donald E, 1996. "Corporate Restructuring and the Consolidation of US Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 53-68, March.
- Alessandro Sembenelli & Laura Rondi & Stephen W. Davies, 1995. "Explaining Corporate Structure:The Md Matrix, Product Differentiation And Size Of Market," CERIS Working Paper 199504, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csc:cerisp:199910. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enrico Viarisio)or (Anna Perin) or (Giancarlo Birello)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.