The entry mode choice of EU leading companies (1987-1997)
The aim of the paper is to provide empirical evidence on the relationship between industrial structure and M&A process. We focus on the determining factors fostering a firm to choose controlling acquisitions or non-controlling ones. We use the Acquisitions and Divestments Database (ADD), a data-base collecting equity operations made by top-90 EU leaders in the period 1987-1997. A logit analysis shows some variables that increase the probability that the firm’s entry mode choice is a non-controlling-acquisition: firm’s size, firm’s diversification strategy, industry concentration, oligopolistic competition. On the contrary, the R&D differentiated industries and the role of the stock exchange market enforce the probability that the firm’s entry mode is a controlling acquisition.
|Length:||28 pages Keywords : Industrial structure; European industry, M&As; acquisitions; joint-ventures|
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Real Collegio, 30 10024 - Moncalieri TO|
Web page: http://www.ircres.cnr.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damien NEVEN & George SIOTIS, 1995.
"Technology Sourcing and FDI in the EC : An Empirical Evaluation,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9508, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Neven, D. & Siotis, G., 1996. "Technology sourcing and FDI in the EC: An empirical evaluation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 543-560, July.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Davies, S. & Rondi, L. & Sembenelli, A., 1998. "SEM and the Changing Structure of EU Manufacturing, 1987-1993," University of East Anglia Discussion Papers in Economics 9815, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK..
- Stephen Davies & Laura Rondi & Alessandro Sembenelli, 1997. "Multinationality, Diversification And Firm Size An Empirical Analysis Of Europe'S Leading Firms," CERIS Working Paper 199701, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Teece, David J., 1992. "Competition, cooperation, and innovation : Organizational arrangements for regimes of rapid technological progress," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-25, June.
- Alessandro Sembenelli & Laura Rondi & Stephen W. Davies, 1995. "Explaining Corporate Structure:The Md Matrix, Product Differentiation And Size Of Market," CERIS Working Paper 199504, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- Mutinelli, Marco & Piscitello, Lucia, 1998. "The entry mode choice of MNEs: an evolutionary approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 491-506, September.
- Liebeskind, Julia Porter & Opler, Tim C & Hatfield, Donald E, 1996. "Corporate Restructuring and the Consolidation of US Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 53-68, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csc:cerisp:199910. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Perin)or (Giancarlo Birello)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.