Energy Regulation, Roll Call Votes and Regional Resources: Evidence from Russia
This paper investigates the relative impact of regional energy production on the legislative choices of Russian Duma deputies on energy regulation between 1994 and 2003. We apply Poole?s optimal classification method of roll call votes using an ordered probit model to explain energy law reform in the first decade of Russia?s democratic transition. Our goal is to analyze the relative importance of home energy on deputies? behavior, controlling for other factors such as party affiliation, electoral mandate, committee membership and socio-demographic parameters. We observe that energy resource factors have a considerable effect on deputies? voting behavior. On the other hand, we concurrently find that regional economic preferences are constrained by the public policy priorities of the federal center that continue to set the tone in energy law reform in post-Soviet Russia.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gellerstrasse 24, 4052 Basel|
Web page: http://www.crema-research.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fleck, Robert K. & Kilby, Christopher & Fleck, Robert K., 2000.
"Reassessing the Role of Constituency in Congressional Voting,"
Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series
51, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Fleck, Robert K & Kilby, Christopher, 2002. "Reassessing the Role of Constituency in Congressional Voting," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 112(1-2), pages 31-53, July.
- Mariano Tommasi & Mark P. Jones & Sebastian M. Saiegh & Pablo T. Spiller, 2002. "Amateur Legislators-Professional Politicians: The Argentine Congress," Working Papers 31, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Jul 2002.
- David J. Samuels & Matthew Soberg Shugart, 2003. "Presidentialism, Elections and Representation," Journal of Theoretical Politics, SAGE Publishing, vol. 15(1), pages 33-60, January.
- Poole, Keith T. & Rosenthal, Howard, 1996. "Are legislators ideologues or the agents of constituents?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 707-717, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cra:wpaper:2006-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna-Lea Werlen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.