Strategic Financial Innovation in Segmented Markets
We analyse an equilibrium model with restricted investor participation in which strategic arbitrageurs play an innovation game and exploit the resulting mispricings by reaping trading profits. Since the equilibrium asset structure is not chosen by a social planner, it is chosen to maximize arbitrage profits and depends therefore realistically upon considerations such as depth, liquidity and gains from trade. In addition, the welfare properties of the resulting asset structure are studied. It is shown that the degree of inefficiency depends upon the heterogeneity of investors. The conjecture of the optimality of ‘Macro Markets’ is analysed formally in this framework.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zigrand, Jean-Pierre, 2004. "A general equilibrium analysis of strategic arbitrage," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 923-952, December.
- Peter M. DeMarzo, 2005. "The Pooling and Tranching of Securities: A Model of Informed Intermediation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 1-35.
- Peter DeMarzo & Darrell Duffie, 1999. "A Liquidity-Based Model of Security Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 65-100, January.
- Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy & Olivier Vigneron, 2007.
"Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 557-595, 04.
- Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy & Olivier Vigneron, 2005. "Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market," NBER Working Papers 11851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Vigneron, & Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2004. "Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 430, Econometric Society.
- Karen K. Lewis, 1999. "Trying to Explain Home Bias in Equities and Consumption," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(2), pages 571-608, June.
- Kevin Dowd & David Blake & Andrew J. G. Cairns & Paul Dawson, 2006. "Survivor Swaps," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 1-17.
- Franklin Allen, Douglas Gale, 1988.
"Optimal Security Design,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(3), pages 229-263.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, . "Optimal Security Design," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 26-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Chen, Zhiwu & Knez, Peter J, 1995. "Measurement of Market Integration and Arbitrage," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(2), pages 287-325.
- Duffie Darrell & Rahi Rohit, 1995. "Financial Market Innovation and Security Design: An Introduction," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 1-42, February.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, Jean & Vial, Jean-Philippe, 1972.
"Oligopoly "A la cournot" in a general equilibrium analysis,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 381-400, June.
- JASKOLD GABSZEWICZ, Jean & VIAL, Jean-Philippe, . "Oligopoly "Ã la Cournot" in a general equilibrium analysis," CORE Discussion Papers RP 106, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Demange Gabrielle & Laroque Guy, 1995.
"Optimality of Incomplete Markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 218-232, February.
- Allen, Franklin & Santomero, Anthony M., 1997.
"The theory of financial intermediation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(11-12), pages 1461-1485, December.
- J. M. Culbertson, 1957. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 485-517.
- Cuny, Charles J, 1993. "The Role of Liquidity in Futures Market Innovations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 57-78.
- Massa, Massimo & Peyer, Urs & Tong, Zhenxu, 2005. "Limits of Arbitrage and Corporate Financial Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 4829, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Willen, 2005. "New financial markets: who gains and who loses," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 141-166, 07.
- Zigrand, Jean-Pierre, 2006. "Endogenous market integration, manipulation and limits to arbitrage," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 301-314, June.
- Tufano, Peter, 1989. "Financial innovation and first-mover advantages," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 213-240, December.
- Rahi Rohit, 1995. "Optimal Incomplete Markets with Asymmetric Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 171-197, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.