Market-wide Effects of Off-Balance Sheet Disclosures:
This paper studies the spillover effects of firms' off-balance sheet disclosures. We focus our analysis on the mandatory disclosure of oil and gas (O&G) reserves, a setting in which off-balance sheet information is particularly important to understand industry competition. Using a comprehensive sample of Canadian and US O&G producers we document two novel results. First, in contrast to prior research on the informational effect of peers' earnings announcements, we find evidence that firms' exhibit lower stock returns when their peers announce more positive news about O&G reserves. Second, consistent with peers' disclosures affecting managerial decision making, we document that larger increases in peers' reserves are accompanied by an increase in firms' investment. We corroborate our results by exploiting three sources of institutional variation. First, the North-American pipeline infrastructure constrains the supply of natural gas, and thus competition in the gas market, but not the supply of oil. Second, the introduction of the fracking technology substantially altered the competition dynamics in the natural gas market. Third, mandatory O&G disclosure rules were modified in Canada and the US in a similar fashion, albeit at different points in time. Overall, our evidence suggests that off-balance sheet disclosures have substantial market-wide effects in the form of both financial and real externalities.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Art Durnev & Claudine Mangen, 2009. "Corporate Investments: Learning from Restatements," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 679-720, 06.
- Feng Gao & Joanna Shuang Wu & Jerold Zimmerman, 2009. "Unintended Consequences of Granting Small Firms Exemptions from Securities Regulation: Evidence from the Sarbanes-Oxley Act," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 459-506, 05.
- Gil Sadka, 2006. "The Economic Consequences of Accounting Fraud in Product Markets: Theory and a Case from the U.S. Telecommunications Industry (WorldCom)," American Law and Economics Review, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 439-475.
- Dyreng, Scott D. & Lindsey, Bradley P. & Markle, Kevin S. & Shackelford, Douglas A., 2015. "The effect of tax and nontax country characteristics on the global equity supply chains of U.S. multinationals," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 182-202.
- Beatty, Anne & Liao, Scott & Yu, Jeff Jiewei, 2013. "The spillover effect of fraudulent financial reporting on peer firms' investments," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 183-205.
- Chandra Kanodia & Haresh Sapra, 2016. "A Real Effects Perspective to Accounting Measurement and Disclosure: Implications and Insights for Future Research," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 623-676, 05.
- repec:bla:joares:v:25:y:1987:i:2:p:196-216 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beyer, Anne & Cohen, Daniel A. & Lys, Thomas Z. & Walther, Beverly R., 2010. "The financial reporting environment: Review of the recent literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 296-343, December.
- Badertscher, Brad & Shroff, Nemit & White, Hal D., 2013. "Externalities of public firm presence: Evidence from private firms' investment decisions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 682-706.
- Clare Wang, 2014. "Accounting Standards Harmonization and Financial Statement Comparability: Evidence from Transnational Information Transfer," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 955-992, 09.
- Roger Silvers, 2016. "The Valuation Impact of SEC Enforcement Actions on Nontarget Foreign Firms," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 187-234, 03.
- repec:bla:joares:v:28:y:1990:i:1:p:211-219 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernard, Darren, 2016. "Is the risk of product market predation a cost of disclosure?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 305-325.
- Pyo, Youngin & Lustgarten, Steven, 1990. "Differential intra-industry information transfer associated with management earnings forecasts," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 365-379, December.
- Charles F. Manski, 1993.
"Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: The Reflection Problem,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 531-542.
- Manski, C.F., 1991. "Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: the Reflection Problem," Working papers 9127, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Gilles Hilary & Gary C. Biddle, 2006. "Accounting Quality and Firm-Level Capital Investment," Post-Print hal-00481720, HAL.
- Clinch, Greg J. & Sinclair, Norman A., 1987. "Intra-industry information releases : A recursive systems approach," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 89-106, April.
- Gerard Hoberg & Gordon Phillips, 2010. "Product Market Synergies and Competition in Mergers and Acquisitions: A Text-Based Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(10), pages 3773-3811, October.
- Gerard Hoberg & Gordon M. Phillips, 2008. "Product Market Synergies and Competition in Mergers and Acquisitions: A Text-Based Analysis," NBER Working Papers 14289, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kedia, Simi, 2006. "Estimating product market competition: Methodology and application," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 875-894, March.
- Firth, Michael A, 1976. "The Impact of Earnings Announcements on the Share Price Behaviour of Similar Type Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 296-306, June.
- Robert M. Bushman & Joseph D. Piotroski & Abbie J. Smith, 2011. "Capital Allocation and Timely Accounting Recognition of Economic Losses," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1-2), pages 1-33, 01.
- repec:bla:joares:v:24:y:1986:i::p:69-108 is not listed on IDEAS
- Foster, George, 1981. "Intra-industry information transfers associated with earnings releases," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 201-232, December.
- Paulo Alves & Peter Pope & Steven Young, 2009. "Cross-Border Information Transfers: Evidence from Profit Warnings Issued by European Firms," Working Papers de Gestão (Management Working Papers) 01, Católica Porto Business School, Universidade Católica Portuguesa.
- Freeman, Robert & Tse, Senyo, 1992. "An earnings prediction approach to examining intercompany information transfers," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 509-523, December.
- Christian Leuz & Peter D. Wysocki, 2016. "The Economics of Disclosure and Financial Reporting Regulation: Evidence and Suggestions for Future Research," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 525-622, 05.
- Firth, Michael, 1996. "Dividend Changes, Abnormal Returns, and Intra-lndustry Firm Valuations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 189-211, June.
- Han, Jerry C. Y. & Wild, John J. & Ramesh, K., 1989. "Managers' earnings forecasts and intra-industry information transfers," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 3-33, February.
- Jere R. Francis & Shawn Huang & Inder K. Khurana & Raynolde Pereira, 2009. "Does Corporate Transparency Contribute to Efficient Resource Allocation?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 943-989, 09.
- Tan Xu & Mohammad Najand & Douglas Ziegenfuss, 2006. "Intra-Industry Effects of Earnings Restatements Due to Accounting Irregularities," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5-6), pages 696-714.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:12152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.