Optimal taxation in the presence of a congested public good and an application to transport policy
In this paper we demonstrate that even if policies prior to reform have been rational, it is possible, in fact in certain policy areas likely, that a green tax reform, contrary to the perceived wisdom among economists, will be associated with a double-dividend, i.e. with both environmental and fiscal benefits. We first establish this theoretically by avoiding imposing potentially unrealistic separability assumptions, and by recognising that taxation involves administrative costs. To illustrate our theoretical results, we use graphical tools well-known from fishery economics to assess the effects of the introduction of a tax on road transport.
|Date of creation:||07 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/coreEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521681599 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bovenberg, A.L. & de Mooij, R.A., 1994.
"Environmental levies and distortionary taxation,"
Other publications TiSEM
4b32deaa-ec2f-4de7-b59b-9, School of Economics and Management.
- Knud Jørgen Munk, 2005.
"Assessment of the introduction of road pricing using a Computable General Equilibrium model,"
Economics Working Papers
2005-23, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Munk Knud Jorgen, . "Assessment of the Introduction of Road Pricing Using a Computable General Equilibrium model," EcoMod2002 330800051, EcoMod.
- Knud Munk, . "Assessment of the Introduction of Road Pricing Using a Computable General Equilibrium Model," Regional and Urban Modeling 283600065, EcoMod.
- Mayeres, Inge & Proost, Stef, 1997. " Optimal Tax and Public Investment Rules for Congestion Type of Externalities," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(2), pages 261-79, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521887427 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lawrence Goulder, 1995. "Environmental taxation and the double dividend: A reader's guide," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 157-183, August.
- Munk, Knud Jorgen, 1978. " Optimal Taxation and Pure Profit," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 80(1), pages 1-19.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521715348 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dixit, Avinash, 1975. "Welfare effects of tax and price changes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-123, February.
- Dixit, A. K. & Munk, K. J., 1977. "Welfare effects of tax and price changes : A correction," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 103-107, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2011057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.