Optimal taxation in the presence of a congested public good and an application to transport policy
In this paper we demonstrate that even if policies prior to reform have been rational, it is possible, in fact in certain policy areas likely, that a green tax reform, contrary to the perceived wisdom among economists, will be associated with a double-dividend, i.e. with both environmental and fiscal benefits. We first establish this theoretically by avoiding imposing potentially unrealistic separability assumptions, and by recognising that taxation involves administrative costs. To illustrate our theoretical results, we use graphical tools well-known from fishery economics to assess the effects of the introduction of a tax on road transport.
|Date of creation:||07 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521887427 is not listed on IDEAS
- de Bovenberg, A Lans & Mooij, Ruud A, 1994.
"Environmental Levies and Distortionary Taxation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1085-89, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521715348 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lawrence Goulder, 1995. "Environmental taxation and the double dividend: A reader's guide," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 157-183, August.
- Mayeres, Inge & Proost, Stef, 1997. " Optimal Tax and Public Investment Rules for Congestion Type of Externalities," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(2), pages 261-79, June.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1975. "Welfare effects of tax and price changes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-123, February.
- Knud Munk, .
"Assessment of the Introduction of Road Pricing Using a Computable General Equilibrium Model,"
Regional and Urban Modeling
- Munk Knud Jorgen, . "Assessment of the Introduction of Road Pricing Using a Computable General Equilibrium model," EcoMod2002 330800051, EcoMod.
- Knud Jørgen Munk, 2005. "Assessment of the introduction of road pricing using a Computable General Equilibrium model," Economics Working Papers 2005-23, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203.
- Dixit, A. K. & Munk, K. J., 1977. "Welfare effects of tax and price changes : A correction," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 103-107, August.
- Munk, Knud Jorgen, 1978. " Optimal Taxation and Pure Profit," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 80(1), pages 1-19.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2011057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.