Thermodynamic Limits of Macroeconomic or Financial Models: One- and Two-Parameter Poisson-Dirichlet Models
This paper examines asymptotic behavior of two types of economic or financial models with manyinteracting heterogeneous agents. They are one-parameter Poisson-Dirichlet models, also called Ewens models, and its extension totwo-parameter Poisson-Dirichlet models. The total number of clusters, and the components of partition vectors (thenumberof clustersofspecified sizes),both suitably normalizedby some powers of model sizes, of these classes of models are shown tobe related to the Mittag-Letter distributions. Theirbehavior as the model sizes tend to infinity(thermodynamic limits) are qualitatively very different.Inthe one-parametermodels,thenumberof clusters, and components of partition vectors are both self-averaging, that is,their coefficients of variations tend to zero as the model sizes become very large, while in the two-parameter models they are not self-averaging, that is,their coefficients of variations do not tend to zeroasmodel sizesbecomes large.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhi-Feng Huang & Sorin Solomon, 2000.
"Power, Levy, Exponential and Gaussian Regimes in Autocatalytic Financial Systems,"
- Zhi-Feng Huang, Sorin Solomon*, 2001. "Power, Levy, Exponential and Gaussian Regimes in Autocatalytic Financial Systems," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 12, Society for Computational Economics.
- U. Garibaldi & D. Costantini & P. Viarengo, 2004. "A Finitary Characterization Of The Ewens Sampling Formula," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 7(02), pages 265-284.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth through Creative Destruction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 323-351, March.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Canning, D. & Amaral, L. A. N. & Lee, Y. & Meyer, M. & Stanley, H. E., 1998. "Scaling the volatility of GDP growth rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 335-341, September.
- De Fabritiis, G. & Pammolli, F. & Riccaboni, M., 2003. "On size and growth of business firms," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 38-44.
- De Fabritiis, Gianni & Riccaboni, Massimo & Pammolli, Fabio, 2003. "On Size and Growth of Business Firms," MPRA Paper 15866, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masanao Aoki, 2000. "Cluster Size Distribution of Economics Agents of Many Types in Market," UCLA Economics Online Papers 102, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Aoki, Masanao, 2002. "Open models of share markets with two dominant types of participants," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 199-216, October.
- Masanao Aoki, 2002. "Open Models of Share Markets with Two Dominant Types of Participants," UCLA Economics Online Papers 107, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Masanao Aoki & Hiroshi Yoshikawa, 2006. "Stock Prices and the Real Economy: Power Law versus Exponential Distributions," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer;Society for Economic Science with Heterogeneous Interacting Agents, vol. 1(1), pages 45-73, May.
- Sutton, John, 2002. "The variance of firm growth rates: the ‘scaling’ puzzle," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 312(3), pages 577-590.
- Devroye, Luc, 1993. "A triptych of discrete distributions related to the stable law," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 349-351, December.
- Iwai, Katsuhito, 2000. "A contribution to the evolutionary theory of innovation, imitation and growth," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 167-198, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)