The Incidence of an Extended Ace Corporation Tax
This paper deals with the efficiency and distributional consequences of a switch from the current German income and corporate tax system to one special variant of an intertemporally neutral tax, an extended ACE (allowance for corporate equity) corporation tax. This tax is favoured by the IFS Capital Taxes Group and was implemented in Croatia in 1994. We not only calculate the welfare consequences of introducing the ACE, but also separate the efficiency effects from intragenerational as well as intergenerational redistribution. The quantitative analysis is based on a dynamic simulation model of the Auerbach-Kotlikoff type which distinguishes between five income classes within each generation. The numerical results indicate that such a fundamental tax reform could yield enormous efficiency gains without necessarily increasing income inequality.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Abel & Gregory N. Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard Zeckhauser, .
"Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
14-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982.
"Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-24, January.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation," Discussion Papers 457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Smetters, Kent A & Walliser, Jan, 1998.
"Social Security: Privatization and Progressivity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 137-41, May.
- Homburg, Stefan, 1992. "Efficient Economic Growth," EconStor Books, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, number 92903, November.
- John Isaac, 1997. "A comment on the viability of the allowance for corporate equity," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 18(3), pages 303-318, August.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1984.
"A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-239, July.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1982. "A General Proposition on the Design of a Neutral Business Tax," Working Papers 461, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, R. W. & Bruce, N., 1979. "Depreciation and interest deductions and the effect of the corporation income tax on investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 93-105, February.
- Hans Fehr & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1995.
"Generational Accounting in General Equilibrium,"
NBER Working Papers
5090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Altig & Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Kent Smetters & Jan Walliser, 1997.
"Simulating U.S. tax reform,"
9712, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Michael Devereux & Harold Freeman, 1991. "A general neutral profits tax," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 1-15, August.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1991.
"Taxation and the Cost of Capital: The "Old" View, the "New" View, and Another View,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 5, pages 25-54
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1990. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital: The "Old" View, the "New" View and Another View," NBER Working Papers 3501, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Keuschnigg, 1990.
"The Transition to a Cash Flow Income Tax,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
276, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Bond, Stephen R & Devereux, Michael P & Gammie, Malcolm J, 1996. "Tax Reform to Promote Investment," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 109-17, Summer.
- Fehr, Hans, 1999. "Welfare Effects of Dynamic Tax Reforms," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 5, number urn:isbn:9783161470165, May.
- McLure, Charles E. Jr. & Zodrow, George R., 1998. "The Economic Case For Foreign Tax Credits for Cash Flow Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 1), pages 1-22, March.
- Sinn, H.W., 1990. "Taxation And The Cost Of Capital: The "Old" View, And Another View," Papers 59, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1995. "The importance of reporting conventions for the theory of corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 417-430, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_484. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.