Public Good Provision with Robust Decision Making
In this paper, we study a two-country dynamic setup with environmental externalities and potential model misspecification in relation to this public good. Under model uncertainty, robust policies help to correct the inefficiencies associated with free riding on public good provision, implying that there are welfare benefits from robust policies even when the fear of model misspecification proves to be unfounded. However, the incentive to free ride on the precautionary policies of the other country may discourage the implementation of robust policies, despite their welfare superiority.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giannis Vardas & Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2010.
"Model Uncertainty, Ambiguity and the Precautionary Principle: Implications for Biodiversity Management,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(3), pages 379-404, March.
- Vardas, Giannis & XEPAPADEAS, Anastasios, 2008. "Model Uncertainty, Ambiguity and the Precautionary Principle: Implications for Biodiversity Management," MPRA Paper 10236, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Konstantinos Angelopoulos & George Economides & Apostolis Philippopoulos, 2010.
"First-and second-best allocations under economic and environmental uncertainty,"
2010_35, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Konstantinos Angelopoulos & George Economides & Apostolis Philippopoulos, 2013. "First-and second-best allocations under economic and environmental uncertainty," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 360-380, June.
- Angelopoulos, Konstantinos & Economides, George & Philippopoulos, Apostolis, 2010. "First-and second-best allocations under economic and environmental uncertainty," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-99, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- George Economides & Apostolis Philippopoulos, 2008. "Growth enhancing policy is the means to sustain the environment," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 207-219, January.
- Athanassoglou, Stergios & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2012. "Pollution control with uncertain stock dynamics: When, and how, to be precautious," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 304-320.
- Justin Svec, 2010.
"Optimal Fiscal Policy with Robust Control,"
1004, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Dennis, Richard, 2010. "How robustness can lower the cost of discretion," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 653-667, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3996. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.