The Impact of Creditor Protection on Stock Prices in the Presence of Liquidity Crises: Theory and Cross-country Evidence
We develop a model predicting two channels through which creditor protection enhances the performance of stock prices: (1) The probability of a liquidity crisis leading to a binding investment-finance constraint falls with a strong protection of creditors; (1) The stock prices under the investment-constrained regime increase with better protection of creditors. We find empirical support for both predictions using data on stock market performance, amount and cost of credit, and creditor rights protection for 52 countries over the period 1980-2008. In particular, we find that better creditor protection is correlated across countries with lower average stock market volatility, crises are more frequent in countries with poor creditor protection. Using propensity score matching we also show that during crises stock market returns and investment fall by more in countries with poor creditor protection.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dmitry Livdan & Horacio Sapriza & Lu Zhang, 2006.
"Financially Constrained Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
12555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi & Guillermo A Calvo, 2006.
"Phoenix miracles in emerging markets: recovering without credit from systemic financial crises,"
BIS Working Papers
221, Bank for International Settlements.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi, 2006. "Phoenix Miracles in Emerging Markets: Recovering without Credit from Systemic Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 12101, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi, 2006. "Phoenix Miracles in Emerging Markets: Recovering without Credit from Systemic Financial Crises," Research Department Publications 4474, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- repec:pal:imfstp:v::y:2006:i:si:p:7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco, 2005.
"Creditor Protection and Credit Volatility,"
Research Department Publications
4401, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.