Optimal Taxation and Social Insurance ina Lifetime Perspective
Advances in information technology have improved the administrative feasibility ofredistribution based on lifetime earnings recorded at the time of retirement. We study optimal lifetime income taxation and social insurance in an economy in which redistributive taxation and social insurance serve to insure (ex ante against skill heterogeneity as well as disabilityrisk. Optimal disability benefits rise with previous earnings so that public transfers depend not only on current earnings but also on earnings in the past. Hence, lifetime taxation rather thanannual taxation is optimal. The optimal tax-transfer system does not provide full disability insurance. By offering imperfect insurance and structuring disability benefits so as to enable workers to insure against disability by working harder, social insurance is designed to offset the distortionary impact of the redistributive labor income tax on labor supply.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein & Daniel Altman, 2007.
"Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 21, pages 35-64
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fölster, Stefan & Gidehag, Robert & Orszag, Mike & Snower, Dennis J., 2002.
"Assessing Welfare Accounts,"
IZA Discussion Papers
533, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Peter Birch Sørensen, 2004.
"Improving the Equity-Efficiency Trade-Off: Mandatory Savings Accounts for Social Insurance,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 11(4), pages 507-529, 08.
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Peter Birch Sørensen, . "Improving the Equity-Efficiency Trade-Off: Mandatory Savings Accounts for Social Insurance," EPRU Working Paper Series 03-07, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Aug 2003.
- Lans Bovenberg & Peter Birch Sørensen, 2003. "Improving the Equity-Efficiency Trade-off: Mandatory Savings Accounts for Social Insurance," CESifo Working Paper Series 1041, CESifo Group Munich.
- Diamond, P. A. & Mirrlees, J. A., 1978.
"A model of social insurance with variable retirement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 295-336, December.
- P. A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1977. "A Model of Social Insurance With Variable Retirement," Working papers 210, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Peter A. Diamond, 2005.
"Taxation, Incomplete Markets, and Social Security,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262541823, December.
- Mark V. Pauly, 1974. "Overinsurance and Public Provision of Insurance: The Roles of Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 88(1), pages 44-62.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E. & Yun, Jungyoll, 2005.
"Integration of unemployment insurance with retirement insurance,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2037-2067, December.
- Joseph Stiglitz & Jungyoll Yun, 2002. "Integration of Unemployment Insurance with Retirement Insurance," NBER Working Papers 9199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-264.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Sandmo, Angar, 1977. " Some Simplified Formulae for Optimal Income Taxation," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 79(4), pages 417-23.
- Folster, Stefan, 1999. "Social Insurance Based on Personal Savings," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(228), pages 5-18, March.
- Orszag, Mike & Snower, Dennis J., 1997. "Expanding the Welfare System: A Proposal for Reform," CEPR Discussion Papers 1674, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William Vickrey, 1939. "Averaging of Income for Income-Tax Purposes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47, pages 379.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1690. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.