The Rural-Urban Gap In Manufacturing Productivity And Wages: Effects Of Industry Mix And Region
This study analyzes urban and rural values of value added per worker and production worker wages tabulated from unpublished 1992 Census of Manufactures data. A decomposition of regional averages separates out effects of regional industry mix from within-industry differentials over a rural-urban continuum and for metro and nonmetro portions of census regions. Comparison of actual 1991-1993 employment growth with regional wage and productivity differentials shows that low wages are strongly associated with job growth.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4600 Silver Hill Road, Washington, DC 20233|
Phone: (301) 763-6460
Fax: (301) 763-5935
Web page: http://www.census.gov/ces
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ciccone, Antonio & Hall, Robert E, 1996.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 54-70, March.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993. "Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995. "Productivity and the density of economic activity," Economics Working Papers 120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Philip R. Israilevich & William A. Testa, 1989. "The geography of value added," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Sep, pages 2-12.
- G. B. Norcliffe & P. Mitchell, 1977. "Structural Effects and Provincial Productivity Variations in Canadian Manufacturing Industry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 10(4), pages 695-701, November.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1994. "Trade, Wages and Revolving Door Ideas," NBER Working Papers 4716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles A. Campbell, 1995. "Industrial Filtering In A Nonmetropolitan Area Of The South," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 25(2), pages 219-235, Fall. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cen:wpaper:97-6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erica Coates)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.