A governance indicator for small and medium-sized enterprises
A governance indicator for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) is presented. The indicator adopts stakeholder theory in selecting its elements, which also include a few general governance principles as well as board features. The paper reviews main governance indicators treated in the literature, which are mostly applied to publicly traded firms. It then proposes a specific indicator for SMEs which, in general, are private. The indicator takes into account—in its structure—the evaluation style of National Quality Awards, as a pattern to measure, by assigning points, a great number of variables. Governance variables included in the indicator are grouped into areas, themes, dimensions and elements, in order to make them operative and measurable. Measurement is performed by means of a questionnaire—reproduced as an appendix—with nominal and interval scales. Maximum scores for each question are assigned following multiple attribute decision theory. The article concludes with reflections on the measurement problem in the social sciences and final thoughts on the characteristics of the proposed indicator. The paper, based on Yacuzzi (2007), is part of an on-going research project. In this new version, several sections of the original work have been improved, others have been deleted, and the questionnaire has been modified in order to incorporate the experience of different users.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique Yacuzzi, 2006. "Medidas no financieras del rendimiento en la empresa: fundamentos, métodos y una aplicación," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 339, Universidad del CEMA.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "Incremental cash flows, information sets and conflicts of interest," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 220, Universidad del CEMA.
- Paul Gompers & Joy Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2003.
"Corporate Governance and Equity Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 107-156.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," NBER Working Papers 8449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2003. "THE SEMANTICS OF GOVERNANCE. (The common thread running through corporate, public, and global governance.)," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 245, Universidad del CEMA.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2007. "Factoring governance risk into investors´expected rates of return by means of a weighted average governance index," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 356, Universidad del CEMA.
- Enrique Yacuzzi, 2007. "Diseño de un indicador de gobernancia para las pequeñas y medianas empresas," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 365, Universidad del CEMA.
- Enrique Yacuzzi, 2005. "A primer on governance and performance in small and medium-sized enterprises," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 293, Universidad del CEMA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:doctra:390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.