Trade, specialization and growth: a preliminary assessment of the Brazilian experience in the nineties
Developing countries have experienced important changes regarding trade and capital account policies in the past two decades. External liberalization may have important long-term effects on macroeconomic variables such as growth rates, employment, and the like. This paper explores a particular aspect of the relation between trade liberalization and economic growth: it emphasizes the expected effects of openness on the patterns of trade specialization, and the consequent impacts in terms of growth in the long run. After presenting some of the main theoretical findings on the matter, a preliminary assessment of the Brazilian experience in the 1990s is also made, discussing the effects of trade liberalization on the composition of Brazilian exports.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Fax: +55 31 3201-3657
Web page: http://www.cedeplar.ufmg.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mario Cimoli & Nelson Correa, 2002. "Trade Openess and Technological Gaps in Latin America: a Low Growth Trap," LEM Papers Series 2002/14, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- T. N. Srinivasan & Jagdish Bhagwati, 1999.
"Outward-Orientation and Development: Are Revisionists Right,"
806, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Srinivasan, T.N. & Bhagwati, J., 1999. "Outward-Orientation and Development: Are Revisionist Right?," Papers 806, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Canuto, Otaviano & Holland, Márcio & Xavier, Clésio, 1998. "Taxas de Câmbio, Elasticidades-renda e Saldo Comercial na Economia Brasileira," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 52(2), April.
- Alwyn Young, 1991. "Learning by Doing and the Dynamic Effects of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 3577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1983. "Foreign trade elasticities in centre-periphery models of growth and development," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 36(146), pages 249-261.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1983. "Foreign trade elasticities in centre-periphery models of growth and development," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 36(146), pages 249-261.
- Alwyn Young, 1991. "Learning by Doing and the Dynamic Effects of International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 369-405.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdp:texdis:td220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Britto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.