Bayesian Heteroskedasticity-Robust Standard Errors
Use of heteroskedasticity-robust standard errors has become common in frequentist regressions. I offer here a Bayesian analog. The Bayesian version is derived by first focusing on the likelihood function for the sample values of the identifying moment conditions of least squares and then formulating a convenient prior for the variances of the error terms. The first step introduces a sandwich estimator into the posterior calculations, while the second step allows the investigator to set the sandwich for either heteroskedastic or homoskedastic error variances. If desired, the Bayesian estimator can be made to look very similar to the usual heteroskedasticity-robust frequentist estimator. Bayesian estimation is easily accomplished by a standard MCMC procedure.
|Date of creation:||15 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2127 North Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9210|
Phone: (805) 893-3670
Fax: (805) 893-8830
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsbecon_dwp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anglin, Paul M & Gencay, Ramazan, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 633-48, Nov.-Dec..
- Dale Poirier, 2008. "Bayesian Interpretations of Heteroskedastic Consistent Covariance Estimators Using the Informed Bayesian Bootstrap," Working Papers 080905, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Geweke, J, 1993. "Bayesian Treatment of the Independent Student- t Linear Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S19-40, Suppl. De.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2012. "Thirty Years of Heteroskedasticity-Robust Inference," Working Papers 1268, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsbec:qt69c4x8m9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.