Transfers and the Terms of Trade in an Overlapping Generations Model
This paper explores the steady state welfare implications of permanent transfers in a two-country, two-sector overlapping generations model. At the golden rule and with Walrasian stability, we demonstrate that the change in the (static) terms of trade always works in favor of a transfer paradox. The conditions under which the transfer paradox is obtained are independent of factor intensity rankings and also whether the donor or recipient has the higher savings propensity. In contrast, conditions under which a change in the intertemporal terms of trade delivers a Pareto-improving transfer depend upon both of the above and also on the initial position of the world capital-labor ratio relative to the golden rule.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Delhi 110 007|
Phone: (011) 27667005
Fax: (011) 27667159
Web page: http://www.cdedse.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.cdedse.org/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gale, David, 1974. "Exchange equilibrium and coalitions : An example," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 63-66, March.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 2003.
"A Theory of Involuntary Unrequited International Transfers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(3), pages 686-715, June.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 2002. "A Theory of Voluntary Unrequited International Transfers," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 53(3), pages 290-300.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati & Richard A. Brecher & Tatsuo Hatta, 1985. "The Generalized Theory of Transfers and Welfare: Exogenous (policy-Imposed) and Endogenous (Transfer-Induced) Distortion," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(3), pages 697-714.
- Jeffrey B. Nugent & Makoto Yano, 1999. "Aid, Nontraded Goods, and the Transfer Paradox in Small Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 431-449, June.
- Yano, M. & Nugent, J.B. & Lay, R.N., 1995. "Aid, Non-Traded Goods and the Transfer Paradox in Small Countries," Papers 9515, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1984. "The Transfer Problem in a Three-Agent Setting," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Brecher, Richard A & Hatta, Tatsuo, 1983. "The Generalized Theory of Transfers and Welfare: Bilateral Transfers in a Multilateral World," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 606-618, September.
- Ichiro Gombi & Shinsuke Ikeda, 2003. "Habit Formation And The Transfer Paradox," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(4), pages 361-380.
- Cremers, Emily, 2001. "General Equilibrium with Trade Balance and Real Interest Rate Parity," Staff General Research Papers Archive 34859, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- O. Galor & H. M. Polemarchakis, 1987. "Intertemporal Equilibrium and the Transfer Paradox," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 147-156.
- Galor, O. & Polemarchakis, H.M., 1984. "Intertemporal equilibrium and the transfor paradox," CORE Discussion Papers 1984014, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Galor, Oded, 1992. "A Two-Sector Overlapping-Generations Model: A Global Characterization of the Dynamical System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1351-1386, November.
- Turunen-Red, Arja H. & Woodland, Alan D., 1988. "On the multilateral transfer problem : Existence of Pareto improving international transfers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 249-269, November.
- Slobodan Djajic & Sajal Lahiri & Pascalis Raimondos-Moller, 1998. "The Transfer Problem and the Intertemporal Terms of Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(2), pages 427-436, May.
- Tan, Kim-Heng, 1998. "International Transfers from Rich to Poor Nations," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 461-471, August.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1970. "Factor Price Equalization in a Dynamic Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(3), pages 456-488, May-June.
- Haaparanta, Pertti, 1989. "The intertemporal effects of international transfers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 371-382, May.
- Yano, Makoto, 1991. "Temporary transfers in a simple dynamic general equilibrium model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 372-388, August.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1989. "Foreign public capital flows," Handbook of Development Economics,in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 25, pages 1305-1386 Elsevier.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Bhagwati, Jagdish N., 1982. "Immiserizing transfers from abroad," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 353-364, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cde:cdewps:138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.