Process and Product Innovation in a Vertically Differentiated Monopoly
We analyse product and process innovations in a monopoly model with vertical differentiation. The incentive towards both kinds of innovation is always larger under social planning than under monopoly. Therefore, the comparison between the two regimes` welfare performance should account for the possibility that the planner and the monopolist adopt different technologies and supply different product ranges.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1987. "The Simple Economics of Research Portfolios," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 581-95, September.
- Rosenkranz, Stephanie, 1996. "Simultaneous Choice of Process and Product Innovation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1321, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Eric Maskin & John Riley, 1984. "Monopoly with Incomplete Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(2), pages 171-196, Summer.
- Champsaur, Paul & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1989.
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 533-57, May.
- Luca LAMBERTINI, 1997.
"The multiproduct monopolist under vertical differentiation : An inductive approach,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1997021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Luca Lambertini, 1995. "The Multiproduct Monopolist Under Vertical Differentiations: an Inductive Approach," Working Papers 226, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Sudipto Bhattacharya & Dilip Mookherjee, 1986.
"Portfolio Choice in Research and Development,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(4), pages 594-605, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Task Force CeSIA DSE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.