Financing Constraints and a Firm's Decision and Ability to Innovate: Establishing Direct and Reverse Effects
The paper analyzes the existence and impact of financing constraints as a possibly serious obstacle to innovation by .rms. The econometric framework we employ in our study is the simultaneous bivariate probit with mutual endogeneity of direct indicators of financial constraints and innovation decisions by firms. A novel method for establishing coherency conditions is used. It allows us for the first time to estimate models hitherto classified as incoherent through the use of prior sign restrictions on model parameters. We are thus able to quantify the interaction between financing constraints and a firm's decision and ability to innovate without forcing the econometric models to be recursive. Hence, we obtain direct as well as reverse interaction effects, leading us to conclude that binding financing constraints discourage innovation and at the same time innovative firms are more likely to face binding financing constraints.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1993.
"Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints,"
_019, Yale University.
- V A Hajivassiliou & Y Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," CEP Discussion Papers dp0243, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1090, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1999. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9925, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- V A Hajivassiliou & DL McFadden, 1997.
"The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
328, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden, 1998. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 863-896, July.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden, 1993. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models," Working Papers _023, Yale University.
- Christopher A. Hennessy & Toni M. Whited, 2007. "How Costly Is External Financing? Evidence from a Structural Estimation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1705-1745, 08.
- Stelios Corres & Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1993. "An Empirical Investigation on the Dynamics of Qualitative Decisions of Firms," Working Papers _020, Yale University.
- Uhlig, Harald, 2005.
"What are the effects of monetary policy on output? Results from an agnostic identification procedure,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 381-419, March.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Uhlig's VAR identification technique," Statistical Software Components RTZ00163, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 1999. "What are the Effects of Monetary Policy on Output? Results from an Agnostic Identification Procedure," Discussion Paper 1999-28, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "What are the Effects of Monetary Policy on Output? Results from an Agnostic Identification Procedure," CEPR Discussion Papers 2137, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "UHLIGFUNCS: RATS procedure to compute criteria for Uhlig sign-restricted shocks," Statistical Software Components RTS00217, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Frédérique Savignac, 2006.
"The impact of financial constraints on innovation : evidence from french manufacturing firms,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v06042, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Frédérique Savignac, 2006. "The impact of financial constraints on innovation : evidence from French manufacturing firms," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00115717, HAL.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.