Financing Constraints and a Firm's Decision and Ability to Innovate: Establishing Direct and Reverse Effects
The paper analyzes the existence and impact of financing constraints as a possibly serious obstacle to innovation by .rms. The econometric framework we employ in our study is the simultaneous bivariate probit with mutual endogeneity of direct indicators of financial constraints and innovation decisions by firms. A novel method for establishing coherency conditions is used. It allows us for the first time to estimate models hitherto classified as incoherent through the use of prior sign restrictions on model parameters. We are thus able to quantify the interaction between financing constraints and a firm's decision and ability to innovate without forcing the econometric models to be recursive. Hence, we obtain direct as well as reverse interaction effects, leading us to conclude that binding financing constraints discourage innovation and at the same time innovative firms are more likely to face binding financing constraints.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frédérique Savignac, 2006.
"The impact of financial constraints on innovation : evidence from french manufacturing firms,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v06042, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Frédérique Savignac, 2006. "The impact of financial constraints on innovation : evidence from French manufacturing firms," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00115717, HAL.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1999.
"Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
9925, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- V A Hajivassiliou & Y Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," CEP Discussion Papers dp0243, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1090, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1993. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Working Papers _019, Yale University.
- Uhlig, Harald, 2005.
"What are the effects of monetary policy on output? Results from an agnostic identification procedure,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 381-419, March.
- Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "What are the Effects of Monetary Policy on Output? Results from an Agnostic Identification Procedure," CEPR Discussion Papers 2137, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tom Doan, . "UHLIGFUNCS: RATS procedure to compute criteria for Uhlig sign-restricted shocks," Statistical Software Components RTS00217, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Uhlig's VAR identification technique," Statistical Software Components RTZ00163, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden, 1993.
"The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models,"
_023, Yale University.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden, 1998. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 863-896, July.
- V A Hajivassiliou & DL McFadden, 1997. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1997/328, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Stelios Corres & Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1993. "An Empirical Investigation on the Dynamics of Qualitative Decisions of Firms," Working Papers _020, Yale University.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Christopher A. Hennessy & Toni M. Whited, 2007. "How Costly Is External Financing? Evidence from a Structural Estimation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1705-1745, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.