Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Policy: Evidence for Colombia, Using a Firms´ Panel
In this paper we find empirical evidence of bank lending channel for Colombia, using a balanced panel data of about four thousand non-financial firms. We find that increases in the interest rate, proxiing for the monetary policy instrument, lead to a reduction in the proportion of bank loans, out of total debt, of the .rms. This bank lending channel amplifies the effect of the traditional interest rate channel, which leads to a reduction in total debt and spending when monetary policy tightens. Our result agrees with, and complements, those obtained by Gómez González and Grosz (2007), who provide evidence of the existence of a bank lending channel in Colombia using bank-specific financial variables.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.org/publicaciones/pub_borra.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1988.
"Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
2534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Gómez-González & Fernando Grosz, 2007.
"Evidence of a Bank Lending Channel for Argentina and Colombia,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 44(129), pages 109-126.
- José Gómez González & Fernando Grosz, . "Evidence of Bank Lending Channel for Argentina and Colombia," Borradores de Economia 396, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- José Gómez González & Fernando Grosz, 2006. "Evidence of Bank Lending Channel for Argentina and Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002649, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Helmut Franken & Carlos García & Alejandro Jara, 2004.
"The Bank Lending Channel in Chile,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 4, pages 121-146
Central Bank of Chile.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Carlos García & Alejandro Jara & Helmut Franken, 2005. "The bank lending channel in Chile," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Investigating the relationship between the financial and real economy, volume 22, pages 128-45 Bank for International Settlements.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein & David W. Wilcox, 1991.
"Monetary policy and credit conditions: evidence from the composition of external finance,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
154, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kashyap, Anil K & Stein, Jeremy C & Wilcox, David W, 1993. "Monetary Policy and Credit Conditions: Evidence from the Composition of External Finance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 78-98, March.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein & David W. Wilcox, 1992. "Monetary Policy and Credit Conditions: Evidence From the Composition of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 4015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994.
"The Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Balance Sheets,"
NBER Working Papers
4821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kashyap, Anil K. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1995. "The impact of monetary policy on bank balance sheets," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 151-195, June.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huang, Zhangkai, 2003. "Evidence of a bank lending channel in the UK," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 491-510, March.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1990. "New Evidence on the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(1), pages 149-214.
- Valerie A. Ramey, 1993.
"How Important is the Credit Channel in the Transmission of Monetary Policy?,"
NBER Working Papers
4285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramey, Valerie, 1993. "How important is the credit channel in the transmission of monetary policy?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 1-45, December.
- Altunbas, Yener & Fazylov, Otabek & Molyneux, Philip, 2002. "Evidence on the bank lending channel in Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2093-2110, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:545. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.