Evaluating Asset Pricing Models in a Fama-French Framework
In this work we propose a methodology to compare different stochastic discount factor (SDF) proxies based on relevant market information. The starting point is the work of Fama and French, which evidenced that the asset returns of the U.S. economy could be explained by relative factors linked to characteristics of the firms. In this sense, we construct a Monte Carlo simulation to generate a set of returns perfectly compatible with the Fama and French factors and, then, investigate the performance of different SDF proxies. Some goodness-of-fit statistics and the Hansen and Jagannathan distance are used to compare asset pricing models. An empirical application of our setup is also provided.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabio Araujo & Joao Victor Issler, 2005.
"Estimating the Stochastic Discount Factor without a Utility Function,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
202, Society for Computational Economics.
- Araújo, Fabio & Jaime Júnior, Pedro & Fernandes, Marcelo, 2005. "Estimating the Stochastic Discount Factor without a Utility Function," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 583, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Harvey, Campbell R., 1994.
"Sources of risk and expected returns in global equity markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 775-803, September.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994. "Sources of Risk and Expected Returns in Global Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 4622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Griffin, 2002. "Are the Fama and French Factors Global or Country Specific?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 783-803.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1999.
"Conditioning Variables and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
7009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1999. "Conditioning Variables and the Cross Section of Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1325-1360, 08.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Kubota, Keiichi & Takehara, Hitoshi, 1998.
"Relationship between Labor-Income Risk and Average Return: Empirical Evidence from the Japanese Stock Market,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(3), pages 319-47, July.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Keiichi Kubota & Hitoshi Takehara, 1997. "Relationship between labor-income risk and average return: empirical evidence from the Japanese stock market," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 117, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Clive Gaunt, 2004. "Size and book to market effects and the Fama French three factor asset pricing model: evidence from the Australian stockmarket," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 44(1), pages 27-44.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 2002.
"Empirical Evaluation of Asset-Pricing Models: A Comparison of the SDF and Beta Methods,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2337-2367, October.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 2001. "Empirical Evaluation of Asset Pricing Models: A Comparison of the SDF and Beta Methods," NBER Working Papers 8098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2007.
"Model comparison using the Hansen-Jagannathan distance,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2007-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2009. "Model Comparison Using the Hansen-Jagannathan Distance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3449-3490, September.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(4), pages 631-653.
- Heber Farnsworth, 2002. "Performance Evaluation with Stochastic Discount Factors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(3), pages 473-504, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcb:wpaper:175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.