Evaluating Asset Pricing Models in a Fama-French Framework
In this work we propose a methodology to compare different stochastic discount factor (SDF) proxies based on relevant market information. The starting point is the work of Fama and French, which evidenced that the asset returns of the U.S. economy could be explained by relative factors linked to characteristics of the firms. In this sense, we construct a Monte Carlo simulation to generate a set of returns perfectly compatible with the Fama and French factors and, then, investigate the performance of different SDF proxies. Some goodness-of-fit statistics and the Hansen and Jagannathan distance are used to compare asset pricing models. An empirical application of our setup is also provided.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabio Araujo & Joao Victor Issler, 2005.
"Estimating the Stochastic Discount Factor without a Utility Function,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
202, Society for Computational Economics.
- Araújo, Fabio & Issler, João Victor & Fernandes, Marcelo, 2005. "Estimating the stochastic discount factor without a utility function," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 583, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 2001.
"Empirical Evaluation of Asset Pricing Models: A Comparison of the SDF and Beta Methods,"
NBER Working Papers
8098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 2002. "Empirical Evaluation of Asset-Pricing Models: A Comparison of the SDF and Beta Methods," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2337-2367, October.
- Newey, W.K. & West, K.D., 1992.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
9220, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(4), pages 631-653.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Griffin, 2002. "Are the Fama and French Factors Global or Country Specific?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 783-803.
- Clive Gaunt, 2004. "Size and book to market effects and the Fama French three factor asset pricing model: evidence from the Australian stockmarket," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 44(1), pages 27-44.
- Heber Farnsworth, 2002. "Performance Evaluation with Stochastic Discount Factors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(3), pages 473-504, July.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Sources of Risk and Expected Returns in Global Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Harvey, Campbell R., 1994. "Sources of risk and expected returns in global equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 775-803, September.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Keiichi Kubota & Hitoshi Takehara, 1997.
"Relationship between labor-income risk and average return: empirical evidence from the Japanese stock market,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
117, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Kubota, Keiichi & Takehara, Hitoshi, 1998. "Relationship between Labor-Income Risk and Average Return: Empirical Evidence from the Japanese Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(3), pages 319-47, July.
- Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2009.
"Model Comparison Using the Hansen-Jagannathan Distance,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3449-3490, September.
- Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2007. "Model comparison using the Hansen-Jagannathan distance," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2007-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1999.
"Conditioning Variables and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
7009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1999. "Conditioning Variables and the Cross Section of Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1325-1360, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcb:wpaper:175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.