Debt Valuation and Chapter 22
Numerous studies have examined the effect on credit spreads of renegotiation. These studies have generally focused on the impact on spread levels in general, and not on how renegotiation influences the relative pricing of senior versus junior debt claims. In this paper, we show that the scope for sequential renegotiation may reduce and even eliminate the premium for debt seniority. Our analysis also explains why companies may engage in repeated Chapter 11 bankruptcy filings (a phenomenon commonly referred to as Chapter 22).
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK|
Phone: 44-20- 76316429
Fax: 44-20- 76316416
Web page: http://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulrich Hege & Pierre Mella-Barral, 2005.
"Repeated Dilution of Diffusely Held Debt,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(3), pages 737-786, May.
- Sergei A. Davydenko & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2007. "Strategic Actions and Credit Spreads: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(6), pages 2633-2671, December.
- Mark Broadie & Mikhail Chernov & Suresh Sundaresan, 2007. "Optimal Debt and Equity Values in the Presence of Chapter 7 and Chapter 11," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1341-1377, 06.
- Pierre Mella-Barral & William R M Perraudin, 1993.
"Strategic Debt Service,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0039, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Mella-Barral, Pierre, 1999. "The Dynamics of Default and Debt Reorganization," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 535-78.
- Aivazian, Varouj A. & Callen, Jeffrey L., 1983. "Reorganization in bankruptcy and the issue of strategic risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 119-133, March.
- Dirk Hackbarth & Christopher A. Hennessy & Hayne E. Leland, 2007. "Can the Trade-off Theory Explain Debt Structure?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1389-1428, 2007 04.
- Fries, Steven & Miller, Marcus & Perraudin, William, 1997. "Debt in Industry Equilibrium," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(1), pages 39-67.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbk:bbkefp:1015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.