Consumption, investment and life insurance strategies with heterogeneous discounting
In this paper we analyze how the optimal consumption, investment and life insur- ance rules are modified by the introduction of a class of time-inconsistent preferences. In particular, we account for the fact that an agents preferences evolve along the planning horizon according to her increasing concern about the bequest left to her descendants and about her welfare at retirement. To this end, we consider a stochas- tic continuous time model with random terminal time for an agent with a known distribution of lifetime under heterogeneous discounting. In order to obtain the time- consistent solution, we solve a non-standard dynamic programming equation. For the case of CRRA and CARA utility functions we compare the explicit solutions for the time-inconsistent and the time-consistent agent. The results are illustrated numeri- cally.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de CiÃ¨ncies EconÃ²miques. Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, Num 1-11 08034 Barcelona. Spain.|
Phone: +34 93 402 43 13cazza
Web page: http://www.ere.ub.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. S. Phelps & R. A. Pollak, 1968. "On Second-Best National Saving and Game-Equilibrium Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 185-199.
- Karp, Larry, 2007.
"Non-constant discounting in continuous time,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 557-568, January.
- Karp, Larry, 2004. "Non-constant discounting in continuous time," CUDARE Working Paper Series 0969, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Karp, Larry, 2005. "Non-Constant Discounting in Continuous Time," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt0nn1t22z, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry, 2004. "Non-Constant Discounting in Continuous Time," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7pr05084, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Pliska, Stanley R. & Ye, Jinchun, 2007. "Optimal life insurance purchase and consumption/investment under uncertain lifetime," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1307-1319, May.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-257, August.
- de-Paz, Albert & Marín-Solano, Jesús & Navas, Jorge, 2013. "A consumption–investment problem with heterogeneous discounting," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 221-232.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Leung, Siu Fai, 1994.
"Uncertain Lifetime, the Theory of the Consumer, and the Life Cycle Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1233-1239, September.
- Leung, S.F., 1992. "Uncertain Lifetime, the Theory of the Consumer, and the Life Cycle Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 323, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/11473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marín-Solano, Jesús & Navas, Jorge, 2010.
"Consumption and portfolio rules for time-inconsistent investors,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 860-872, March.
- Jesus Marin-Solano & Jorge Navas, 2009. "Consumption and Portfolio Rules for Time-Inconsistent Investors," Papers 0901.2484, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2009.
- repec:spr:compst:v:58:y:2003:i:1:p:159-182 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bar:bedcje:2012277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espai de Recerca en Economia)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.