Conjunctive use of surface water and groundwater with quality considerations
Deterministic models of conjunctive surface and groundwater management aren’t much more complicated than typical groundwater-only management models under simple assumptions. However, when water quality problems exist, the fact that there are two alternative sources of water gains a new significance, as there is no guarantee that they will be of comparable quality. Thus the benefit from using one unit of surface water may not be the same as that of one unit of groundwater. This paper analyses the implications of considering a conjunctive ground and surface water system where water quality varies according to source, with and without uncertainty in hydrological parameters.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus Universitario de Santiago, 3810-193 Aveiro|
Phone: +351 234 370 361
Fax: +351 234 370 215
Web page: http://www.ua.pt/degeit/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Santiago J. Rubio & Juan P. Castro, 1996.
"Long-run groundwater reserves under uncertainty,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 20(1), pages 71-88, January.
- Neher,Philip A., 1990. "Natural Resource Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311748, December.
- Dinar, Ariel, 1994. "Impact of energy cost and water resource availability on agriculture and ground water quality in California," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 47-66, March.
- Knapp Keith C. & Olson Lars J., 1995. "The Economics of Conjunctive Groundwater Management with Stochastic Surface Supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 340-356, May.
- Xepapadeas, A. P., 1992. "Environmental policy design and dynamic nonpoint-source pollution," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 22-39, July.
- Fisher, Anthony C. & Rubio, Santiago J., 1997. "Adjusting to Climate Change: Implications of Increased Variability and Asymmetric Adjustment Costs for Investment in Water Reserves," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 207-227, November.
- Tsur, Yacov & Graham-Tomasi, Theodore, 1991. "The buffer value of groundwater with stochastic surface water supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 201-224, November.
- Rubio, Santiago J., 1992. "Adjustment costs, uncertainty, and the theory of investment: the case of non-renewable natural resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 139-153, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ave:wpaper:132004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marta Ferreira Dias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.