Business services within network for innovation
Innovation at firm level is understood to be a cumulative learning process, whereby the firm complements its internal knowledge with knowledge and competencies available externally. This view calls for a deeper understanding of the interactions within the innovation system, namely between firms and consulting services, of the role and growth of consultancy. This avenue opens also up for a richer discription of various types of service providers and their interaction with firms, as well as for an evaluation of the services provided. This paper addresses these issues using data from a survey on the use of consultancy by corporations located Portugal and Spain. The empirical study focuses on the range of suppliers used and on the success of the consulting assignment in terms of client judgement of the results compared to the expected. A final issue concerns the evaluation of consultants’ job. Implications for policy are derived.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus Universitario de Santiago, 3810-193 Aveiro|
Phone: +351 234 370 361
Fax: +351 234 370 215
Web page: http://www.ua.pt/egi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kipping, Matthias, 1999. "American Management Consulting Companies in Western Europe, 1920 to 1990: Products, Reputation, and Relationships," Business History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 73(02), pages 190-220, June.
- Bessant, John & Rush, Howard, 1995. "Building bridges for innovation: the role of consultants in technology transfer," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 97-114, January.
- Robert Bennett & Paul Robson & William Bratton, 2000. "Government Advice Networks For Smes: An Assessment Of The Influence Of Local Context On Business Link Use, Impact And Satisfaction," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp182, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Johan Hauknes, . "Innovation in the Service Economy," STEP Report series 199607, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- Kieser, Alfred, 1998. "How Management Science, Consultancies and Business Companies (Do not) Learn from Each Other. Applying Concepts of Learning to Different Types of Organizations and to Interorganizational Learning," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 98-20, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ave:wpaper:082003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marta Ferreira Dias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.