Statistical Mechanics of Labor Markets
We introduce a probabilistic model of labor markets for university graduates, in particular, in Japan. To make a model of the market efficiently, we take into account several hypotheses. Namely, each company fixes the (business year independent) number of opening positions for newcomers. The ability of gathering newcomers depends on the result of job matching process in past business years. This fact means that the ability of the company is weaken if the company did not make their quota or the company gathered applicants too much over the quota. All university graduates who are looking for their jobs can access the public information about the ranking of companies. Assuming the above essential key points, we construct the local energy function of each company and describe the probability that an arbitrary company gets students at each business year by a Boltzmann-Gibbs distribution. We evaluate the relevant physical quantities such as the employment rate. We find that the system undergoes a sort of `phase transition' from the `good employment phase' to `poor employment phase' when one controls the degree of importance for the ranking.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Econophysics of systemic risk and network dynamics, New Economic Windows 2013, Springer-Verlag (Italy, Milan), pp. 157-171 (2012)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://arxiv.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Casares, Miguel & Moreno, Antonio & Vázquez, Jesús, 2014.
"An estimated New-Keynesian model with unemployment as excess supply of labor,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 338-359.
- Miguel Casares & Antonio Moreno & Jesús Vázquez, 2010. "An Estimated New-Keynesian Model with Unemployment as Excess Supply of Labor," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 1003, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Casares, Miguel & Vázquez Pérez, Jesús & Moreno, Antonio, 2012. "An Estimated New-Keynesian Model with Unemployment as Excess Supply of Labor," DFAEII Working Papers 2012-07, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Miguel Casares & Antonio Moreno & Jesús Vázquez, 2012. "An Estimated New-Keynesian Model with Unemployment as Excess Supply of Labor," Faculty Working Papers 01/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Roberto Gabriele, 2002. "Labor Market Dynamics and Institutions: an Evolutionary Approach," LEM Papers Series 2002/07, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1309.5156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.