Continuous-Time Portfolio Optimisation for a Behavioural Investor with Bounded Utility on Gains
This paper examines an optimal investment problem in a continuous-time (essentially) complete financial market with a finite horizon. We deal with an investor who behaves consistently with principles of Cumulative Prospect Theory, and whose utility function on gains is bounded above. The well-posedness of the optimisation problem is trivial, and a necessary condition for the existence of an optimal trading strategy is derived. This condition requires that the investor's probability distortion function on losses does not tend to 0 near 0 faster than a given rate, which is determined by the utility function. Under additional assumptions, we show that this condition is indeed the borderline for attainability, in the sense that for slower convergence of the distortion function there does exist an optimal portfolio.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roman Muraviev & L. Rogers, 2013. "Utilities bounded below," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 271-289, May.
- Terence M. Ryan, 1974. "The Use of Unbounded Utility Functions in Expected-Utility Maximization: Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 88(1), pages 133-135.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Miklós Rásonyi & Andrea Rodrigues, 2013. "Optimal portfolio choice for a behavioural investor in continuous-time markets," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 291-318, May.
- Hanqing Jin & Xun Yu Zhou, 2008. "Behavioral Portfolio Selection In Continuous Time," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 385-426.
- Jaksa Cvitanić & Ioannis Karatzas, 1996. "HEDGING AND PORTFOLIO OPTIMIZATION UNDER TRANSACTION COSTS: A MARTINGALE APPROACH-super-2," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 133-165.
- Drazen Prelec, 1998. "The Probability Weighting Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 497-528, May.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. "Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Kenneth J. Arrow, 1974. "The Use of Unbounded Utility Functions in Expected-Utility Maximization: Response," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 88(1), pages 136-138.
- Miklos Rasonyi & Andrea M. Rodrigues, 2012. "Optimal Portfolio Choice for a Behavioural Investor in Continuous-Time Markets," Papers 1202.0628, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2013. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1309.0362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.