Transformation Method for Solving Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman Equation for Constrained Dynamic Stochastic Optimal Allocation Problem
In this paper we propose and analyze a method based on the Riccati transformation for solving the evolutionary Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation arising from the stochastic dynamic optimal allocation problem. We show how the fully nonlinear Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation can be transformed into a quasi-linear parabolic equation whose diffusion function is obtained as the value function of certain parametric convex optimization problem. Although the diffusion function need not be sufficiently smooth, we are able to prove existence, uniqueness and derive useful bounds of classical H\"older smooth solutions. We furthermore construct a fully implicit iterative numerical scheme based on finite volume approximation of the governing equation. A numerical solution is compared to a semi-explicit traveling wave solution by means of the convergence ratio of the method. We compute optimal strategies for a portfolio investment problem motivated by the German DAX 30 Index as an example of application of the method.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Milgrom & Ilya Segal, 2002. "Envelope Theorems for Arbitrary Choice Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 583-601, March.
- Browne, S., 1995. "Optimal Investment Policies for a Firm with a Random Risk Process: Exponential Utility and Minimizing the Probability of Ruin," Papers 95-08, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Tourin, Agnes & Zariphopoulou, Thaleia, 1994. "Numerical Schemes for Investment Models with Singular Transactions," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 7(4), pages 287-307.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-257, August.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1307.3672. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.