Parallel Binomial American Option Pricing with (and without) Transaction Costs
We present a parallel algorithm that computes the ask and bid prices of an American option when proportional transaction costs apply to the trading of the underlying asset. The algorithm computes the prices on recombining binomial trees, and is designed for modern multi-core processors. Although parallel option pricing has been well studied, none of the existing approaches takes transaction costs into consideration. The algorithm that we propose partitions a binomial tree into blocks. In any round of computation a block is further partitioned into regions which are assigned to distinct processors. To minimise load imbalance the assignment of nodes to processors is dynamically adjusted before each new round starts. Synchronisation is required both within a round and between two successive rounds. The parallel speedup of the algorithm is proportional to the number of processors used. The parallel algorithm was implemented in C/C++ via POSIX Threads, and was tested on a machine with 8 processors. In the pricing of an American put option, the parallel speedup against an efficient sequential implementation was 5.26 using 8 processors and 1500 time steps, achieving a parallel efficiency of 65.75%.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perrakis, Stylianos & Lefoll, Jean, 2000.
"Option pricing and replication with transaction costs and dividends,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1527-1561, October.
- Stylianos PERRAKIS & Jean LEFOLL, 1999. "Option Pricing and Replication with Transaction Costs and Dividends," FAME Research Paper Series rp8, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1977. "The valuation of warrants: Implementing a new approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 79-93, January.
- Bernard Bensaid & Jean-Philippe Lesne & Henri Pagès & José Scheinkman, 1992. "Derivative Asset Pricing With Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 63-86.
- Perrakis, Stylianos & Lefoll, Jean, 1997. "Derivative Asset Pricing with Transaction Costs: An Extension," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 10(4), pages 359-376, November.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Vorst, Ton, 1992. " Option Replication in Discrete Time with Transaction Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 271-293, March.
- Perrakis, Stylianos & Lefoll, Jean, 2004. "The American put under transactions costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 915-935, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1110.2477. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.